ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Do we need grounding?
by tortuga - 03/18/24 08:39 PM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
Test Post
by sabrown - 03/06/24 05:29 PM
Solar PV Wiring Errors
by renosteinke - 03/02/24 09:12 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 89 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
A
I dodged a trip to the emergeny room today by an inch...literally.

While I was walking through a job today, a carpenter (a kid no older than 20) had just finished cutting a board on some saw horses when he slung his circular back just as I was passing by. The blade guard was pinned back and I swung my body out of the way to trying to miss it. The saw blade still spinning, hit my radio that was clipped to my side and gut a grove clear across from top to bottom. I immediately looked for blood and expected to see my kidney hanging out. NO blood so anger moved in as I let some words fly. I am thankful that I was not injured since it could have been a bad accident.

All I can say is pay attention to what you and your guys are doing but pay more attention to the other idiots on the job site.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
N
Is'nt defeating a guard on a saw, a $1000.00 to 1400.00 fine from OSHA? Or are they not likely to show up? (Unless there is a accident). [Linked Image]

E
e57 Offline
Ya know thats you fault! Dont tell me you don't know of the "Stay 25' from a dumb a$$ rule". Thats horizontal, never get anywhere close to under one.

Let me guess, the guard is pinned back with a 16p nail? Makes a nice bullet when it slips out.

Sounds like that job is due for a safety brow-beating. And, you'll be looking for a bigger vintage phone. [Linked Image] If I were you, I'd got play Lotto right now before the luck wears off.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Is 25' far enough? In a recorded case in the UK, a saw with the guard fixed up was dropped on the floor. It had enough momentum for the blade to run back up the guy's leg and into his crotch. Oooerr! Could just as well have been someone else's leg....
Alan

Wood work but can't!
G
A guy working with me cut off all the toes on his left foot through a cowboy boot when he put down a pinned back saw on a sheeted roof and the trigger stuck. More than one violation here. All I can say is we were young, dumb, hungry idiots and I'm glad it wasn't someone else's toes.

F
I have to agree with e57 on this one get them LOTTO tickets while there hot

G
If the saw guards are pinned back, check the nail guns. You may yet get your brain ventilated. There are still plenty of crews that don't have a clue about safety.
Never sit down on the roof when a plumber is in the building. Those chain saws some use for vent openings will ruin your love life. I think of every job as an accident waiting to happen and try an make sure it doesn't happen to me.

M
I had a really close call once about 4 years ago when I was working installing data\comm cabling in a building that was being gutted, I just finished a pull and was at the reel boxes cutting all my cables down when I hear a crash and BAMM a small rooftop A\C unit came crashing down about 18" away from me right onto my boxes. Some illegal and obviously untrained guys were told to demo out the A\C unit, the way they accomplished this was that they were on the roof and cut the roof around the unit so it came crashing down into a space that there was no warning or anyone to make sure that anyone was under where they planned to drop this thing. There was definitely some colorful words spewed out from my mouth of which I don't think a single one was comprehended by the guilty party's. The next day I was to go there I had to drive in my own car to the site and as I cam rolling up all the guys were outside doing the usual hanging out before work starts and suddenly I have the light bulb light up and I came out of my car swiftly yelling "I-N-S EVERYBODY FREEZE!!!!" I think half the crew that was there from all the other company's instantly disappeared for the day.

C
That idiot would always be searching for power as the male end of his cord would be cut off every day for a week...the following week, just unplugged, the week after that one single strand would be run between prongs - and unplugged...at least once per day....
lather, rinse, repeat.

This would continue until "someone" begged my forgiveness.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
C
Just remembered one close call....working UNDERNEATH a monorail with "flip switches" (for the train..switch weighs about 8 tons and "flips" in just a few seconds). Switch WAS LOTO, and people were working on it...all off a sudden I hear the the thing engage and before you could say "Heads-up" the thing flips - dropping a cascade of various tools (someone's tool bucket/rig?). A 12" or so adjustable wrench comes sailing down, bounces off the rail to my lift, and hits the dirt.
I retreive the tool and put it it in MY bucket/rig.
A half-hour later some shumck is picking up the other "litter" and asks me if I saw a wrench.
I say "you mean the one that just bounced off my rail"
him- yes
me -yes
him- can I have it back?
me- no
him-why not?
me- it's mine now

Eventually, my supervisor, his supervisor, the job super and a rep. from the client all appear...same basic q/a happens. My super, finally says - "..just give it back.."....as I threw it in the lake, they were all like "why did you do that?" ...I said "Oh gee..sorry..I slipped" - same dumbass comment the shumck gave.
Then I went back to work and let them fight about who was going to fire me - which didn't happen...LMAO.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard