ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 412 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#150424 03/28/05 05:24 PM
D
I know this is primarily focussed on lift cages, but the same requirement applies to any attachment, correct?

Like the attachments that allow you to lift 55 gallon drums, or the fork extensions that provide safe lifting of longer loads. These would also require letters form the OEM. Has anyone successfully obtained letters permitting these? i would guess they are much more common than lifting cages.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#150425 03/28/05 07:27 PM
S
Dan.. for once I think I'll give a short answer. [Linked Image]

Yes the requirement to have approval applies to all attachments. Actually the most commont that I find are "crane" attachments.

#150426 03/29/05 03:00 AM
Guys,
Regardless of where the equipment is used.
This is a problem the world over.
Just because someone has purchased a Forklift, does not mean that it is instantly a Crane or any other piece of gear that it's owner want's it to be.
And in general, these people are the first to scream and b_tch when the thing breaks down.
Glenn, I agree with you on the point of the counter-wieght, the actual counter-wieght itself is only for the forklift and it's designed working capacity.
The actual working area of a Forklift is the same as an Isoceles Triangle, go outside of that and you are in the tip-over region.

#150427 03/29/05 07:20 PM
D
Just to make it clear what we are talking about I found a picture on the internet. This is not the exact model but close to it.
http://www.eqdepot.com/skytra_pl.html

The basket looks like the one in this link in the upper left hand side. Its not quite as nice as the in the link.
http://www.forkliftcosts.com/High_Lift_Equipment.htm

So the boss wants to put a basket on the end and send me up 40 feet. No way no how. I have used that basket changing bulbs in the warehouse at 15 feet high with a normal forklift. I will stop doing that.

The boss thinks that because you can buy those baskets then they are legal to use.

#150428 03/29/05 09:45 PM
Cat Servant
I've done a fair amount of thinking about this issue, and I am still a little confused as to what exactly is the problem.
If a machine will safely lift a ton of dynamite forty feet, then I fail to understand how it cannot also safely lift a man the same heigth.
I also have lessening respect every day for paperwork requirements....they often reach the point of sheer idiocy.

But- getting to the issue at hand. I see no reason why someone should not be able to make their own lift basket. What is important is to understand what will NOT work.
A pallet slipped over the forks is generally a bad idea. Pallet lumber is poor, likely to break, and can slip off as easily as it slipped on.
The basket needs to be securely attached to the machine. A c-clamp won't do, as the forks are tapered, and the clamp all to likely to come loose. A common method is to use a short length of chain, with a clasp.
You need some form of secure guard rail...these are typically located between elbow and shoulder level.
Some places also mandate a screen between the moving parts of the lift, and the basket. A good idea.
I'm not so sure about the places that mandate a part of the cage to go above head level. While intended to make it less likely that you will bump your head, it also make access and working difficult...to the point that folks add ladders to the cage....definitely not to be reccomended!

Now, what about restraint? An ordinary forklift I expect would be considered as a scissor-lift is, and not require supplimental fall protection.
With the type of lift you're discussing, I believe that it would be considered as a boom lift, and some sort of fall restraint is required.

Fall protection comes in two basic styles. One uses a lanyard, and requires a full harness be worn. The other uses an inertial tether, and a simple body belt is adequate. You are permitted to "tie off" to either the basket, or the structure where you are working.

Not addressed is the matter of communication. Good communication with the operator is essential. Ambient noise, language issues, and poor acoustics can all make communication difficult. Over the distances you're discussing, I'd want some sort of communication device- whether it's a walkie-talkie or a cell phone, I don't care.

On another note: when it comes to your safety, regulations be damned. It's your butt, and you have every right to refuse to endanger it. Will such a stand put your job at risk? Probably- but you'll also lose your job if you get hurt. Making hard calls is part of what being a professional is all about.

#150429 03/30/05 01:39 PM
B
I don't see what the hangup is. If the lift is designed to accept the basket, and the basket has the required sercuring hardware there should be no reason that it cannot be used. The weight restrictions of the basket and boom will have to be taken into account.

Whoever is operating the lift will have to be certified/trianed to operate that particular lift.

We have had a Cat RTC 60, a Lull and currently have a Ghel and use it on a regular basis, with the same basket that you linked to.

#150430 03/31/05 11:42 PM
H
Don't refuse just switch. Tell him you are more than willing to work on the project but he can go up in the basket and you will operate. If he doesn't like that answer and some other person is the assigned operator have him take the first ride up to demonstrate how effective this method is. Have a digital camera on hand so you can have some kind reference. Once you got a picture tell me to piss off.

[This message has been edited by highkvoltage (edited 04-01-2005).]

#150431 04/04/05 12:14 PM
D
We have several rough terrain fork trucks on my site, and "the guys" went out a purchased one of those lifting cages. it was removed from service by safety/health for liability reasons. they referenced the "NOT BE USED TO LIFT PERSONNEL" warning label in thew operators cock-pit as justification. Something about using a piece of equipment contrary to OEM's instructions would be a liability issue. Injured employees do much better in court when they can demonstrate their employer was instrucitng them to do something recognized as "unsafe".

Makes sense to me. If the basket is OK on the lift, the OEM will let you know.

Reno: regarding your statement about fall protection achorage points, OSHA speaks to this issue in both the Cnstruction and General Industry standards:

1926.453(b)(2)(iii)
Belting off to an adjacent pole, structure, or equipment while working from an aerial lift shall not be permitted.

1910.67(c)(2)(iii)
Belting off to an adjacent pole, structure, or equipment while working from an aerial lift shall not be permitted.

#150432 04/05/05 12:07 AM
D
I seem to have started something here.

In my situation the problem solved itself. To recap the boss wanted to rent a telescopic boom forklift for a week to do some demo work and for me to use the basket to fix some pole lights.

The demo work took longer than he thought hence no time to fix the pole lights. I also think its not tall enough to reach but we never got to that point.

You see folks, my boss does not have a problem with someone else at the controls. I do, I simply to not trust anyone else to control a machine that might cause me an injury. After all who is paying the price?

Funny thing last year he rented me the manlift I asked for. I got the lights fixed on time, on budget, nobody hurt.

But I guess thats not good enough for him.

I want to thank everyone here for thier input. Both for and against.

#150433 05/08/05 07:42 PM
G
I side with the don't do it. It's just far too high to go without the proper equipment.

Here in the UK the Health and Safety Executive have threatened to ban these telehandlers from building sites entirely unless the manufacturers improve the operators view of the surroundings. The cab is usually right down low with the boom obscuring the view to one side.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard