ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 441 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Reno, that's a cool titfer! We could come to work themed, so your guy could have some neat chaps cunningly adapted as protective overalls, Deputy Sheriff badge cum tape clip, holsters converted into a tool belt, and to complete the ensemble a cordless drill disguised as a S&W 44.

"You packin' any heat pardnee?"
"Sure am, Stumpy- Milwaukee 24v!"

Of course, I'd have a Bowler hat (Derby?)- fashioned from 16 gage steel plate. No problems with where you put the brim on one of those, - it's a 360 degree design. Second thoughts I'll have a Topper, with a secret compartment for my sandwiches.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
G
This is the latest fashion in hard hats.
[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

Greg Fretwell
Cat Servant
Alan...Bowler hat??? Nah...any proper Brit would want a hard hat shaped like the army pith helmets as seen in "Zulu!"

The French had a pretty spiffy helmet in the "Great War." For a "bump cap," the Legion Kepi would look sharp, neck scarf and all!

The Germans would, of course, have little spikes in the tops.

Office wonks, and other visitors, would get helmets with little propellers on them

:-)

I looked up pith helmets, (made of cloth covered cork, actually) , and apart from the Imperial British military -
"Peeethh, (wait for it, soljahh!) Peeeeth ON!", "Staaaand Easy! Pith OFF!" - they were also favored headgear for French and German colonists, as well as US forces for a time. Other users were colonists in hot climates for sun-hats, and the Viet Minh of all people.

I imagine they would also have served as protective headgear from such hazards as falling coconuts!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
M
We have the brim to fit over your hardhat for work in the sun, looks like a big canvas toilet seat. Works well, abit like a hard hat sombrero

With or without corks?
[Linked Image]
Alan

Wood work but can't!
J
I had never really considered wearing my hard hat backwards. I can see how it could offer more protection to the back of my head and neck while looking level or down into a panel or equipment. I would put the protection of the brim in the direction that I thought the flying objects would likely come from... Walking around the job site, wear it forwards. Looking down into a panel on an outside wall, wear it backwards. Dealing with higher ups back at the office, sit on it.
Joe

[This message has been edited by JoeTestingEngr (edited 11-30-2005).]

J
I'll have to do some research to find the standard but you fill this in the ANSI standards.

Essentially if the hard hat manufacture rates the hard hat liner unit to be inserted in either direction then technically it can be worn with the bill facing backward. This exception was originally intended for iron workers.

But the Company can set the rule and that's what stands.

As a safety professional I have more trouble with people not wearing them let alone wearing backward

Jim Humphrey
B

Er, see http://www.bullard.com/Industrial/Head_Protection/911H.shtml There are 'hats' and 'caps' by at least one manufacturer—in high-temp style. 'Hats' are common for many, and don't leave any guessing which way is forward.

;`\

Ha Ha Ha,
That's a shocker Alan!.
LMAO. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Hey Scott,
That's a rather good call on the aspects of temperature on a hard-hat.
I'd never even thought about that in the past,
Our FF helmets are made of Fibre-Glass and I've only ever seen one of them smoke once.
I'm not sure about other types of hard hats and how thier materials would stand up to a higher ambient temperature.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-10-2005).]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard