ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#150251 01/09/05 11:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Judging by the speed that things happen in this Forum and a comparison between those that want to know how things work and also those that want to make as much money as they can, where does Safety actually fit into ECN?.
Everyone here at ECN talks Safety, but so few people actually post here.
If you have ideas, please let's hear them.
There's no point in having a Safety Forum, if it isn't going to be used. Period
I've run out of ideas to keep this place going, so the onus is on you guys.
Use it or lose it!
That's all I can say. [Linked Image]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
B
I hope you can keep this topic going. I don't post much but I do check this topic out every time I log on to ECN.
A topic that stands out with me is I am an industrial Journeyman Electrician and we are reqiured to use our gloves for any voltage above 50 volts. Do the resi guys have similar reqiurements?

Trumpy:

Excellent point. To add my own tips:

1: Always wear PPE when working on anything over 100 volts;
2: NEVER stand directly in front of any breaker/disconnect/fuse pull block when opening or reclosing (and that includes breakers in resi panels!);
3: LOOK AWAY when doing any of the items in #2, so if it arcs you stand lesser chance of eye damage;
4: NEVER pull/install meters without PPE, especially NEVER pull meters to cut power on a faulted system;
5: Most importantly, stay alert and DON'T rush when working live. Despite the pressure to finish/restore power, the extra time it takes to do it safely is a helluva lot less than the time to deal with an injury or equipment damage from rushing.

In repairing cinemas I frequently deal with harried staff/managers to get things running again, but I refuse to let that force me into something unsafe. In addition to electrical hazards, I deal with explosive (high-pressure) Xenon arc lamps, mechanical hazards and high intensity light.

Work safe and be able to go home to your loved ones at the end of the day. NO JOB IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR INJURY TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS!!

Tony

Stupid should be painful.
C
bfdpoc221, wearing gloves above 50 volts is an OSHA requirement. It applies to everyone. OSHA has adopted the new NFPA 70E as a standard and will use it for citing violations. I would suggest everyone get a copy of NFPA 70E and read it. It will change the way you do things.
Al

Trumpy Offline OP
Look guys,
All i'm looking to do, Is have some good decent discussion on Health and Safety Practice as it pertains to you guys, in your normal course of daily work.
Maybe you've seen something that you don't like or something that could be improved, it shouldn't have to come down to the Law all the time.
This is after all a Discussion Area, just a place to bounce ideas off of one another.
There are no wrong answers here and you won't be held to account for your comments.
My above comments only come from a bit of vented frustration, as I felt like I was talking to myself here.
I have no problems at all with keeping this Area open, but please, could you guys at least use the thing!. [Linked Image]
And if you guys do, I will support you as well, with relevant back-up.
Thanks very much for your time in reading this.

[Linked Image]
Mike.

Trumpy Offline OP
Bump.

[Linked Image]
Mike.

{Message edited to fix up UBB Code}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-18-2005).]

S
Mike,

I apologize. I should be more actively involved in this forum. My primary responsibility is to enforce safety and health regulations and while I routinely check threads here, I have rarely responded. I'll work on that, this is a valuable forum that I would like to see ECN continue. [Linked Image]

I am going to start a new thread on 70E to address some of the issues raised in this thread. I'll have it up shortly.

Edited to add information about new thread.

-Glenn

[This message has been edited by safetygem (edited 01-18-2005).]

B

There are quite a long list of details that make a safe and conscientious electrical worker. In the US, baseline concepts and expectations of basic, personal safety practices originate in five “rules” that we all should understand with our eyes closed, and can be used in zeff study if your employer doesn’t have a formal training program.

For ‘qualified’ and ‘unqualified’ workers, US OSHA is very clear on what they expect for baseline electrical training in places of employment. [It’s not Rocket Science.]

Title 29 — Code of Federal Regulations

1910.331 - Scope
1910.332 - Training
1910.333 - Selection and use of work practices
1910.334 - Use of equipment.
1910.335 - Safeguards for personnel protection.

These basic matters are not that hard to learn and live by on the jobsite.

If you sift through OSHA incident reports, an oft cited infraction is lack of job-specific training. Where formal in-house training exists, it helps to establish a paper trail of individuals’ qualifications and consequent experience, which, during accident investigation, will surely be scrutinized by investigators.

Trumpy Offline OP
Glenn and others,
Look fella's I really appreciate every single post that has been placed in this Forum here.
Without you guys there isn't a forum for a start. [Linked Image]
Occupational safety or any safety for that matter is a very "dry" subject, in that it doesn't lend itself to the humour and glamour of the other forums here at ECN, after all, who can laugh at work accidents?.
And another thing, a few of you may be wondering why I use a lot of stories to get my point across at times, those particular stories have only come about from personal experience or those related to me by fellow work-mates, all of them true and without embellishment, people tend to remember things better when they are backed up by a practical example.
BTW there is no such thing as a bad post in this area, if we can all learn from it, it's job is done. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 01-24-2005).]

B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard