ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#15001 10/06/02 07:33 AM
B
buckman Offline OP
Any of you guys out there doing any of this low-voltage structured wiring. We're thinking about getting into it and was wondering about the going cost. Any help would be appreciated.

#15002 10/06/02 12:15 PM
E
We do some structured wiring and have found that you can command a much higher price for the neat looking package vs. the same wiring without the box. I also like the idea of keeping the wiring neat and organized. As far as actual cost goes, that can vary greatly depending on what is done and local price competion.

#15003 10/06/02 01:25 PM
Good Topic!
I was at a meeting recently where a Leviton Rep gave a presentation on structured wiring for the Home. They offer a one day training course/seminar that sounds pretty good. It is a full day and costs $250 for the first person and $100 for each additional person from the same company. You get a free toolkit and can get certification as a "Certified Leviton Installer" which I think extends the warranty on work that you do with approved materials and methods.
Course Description:
The Certification Seminar is a full day workshop. The course covers all aspects of planning, installing and testing a category compliant system. It also covers industry standards and provides suggestions on marketing your business to audiences such as builders and home owners.

They will be having 2 of these seminars near me (Long Island) in mid November and I will be trying to attend one. So I'll let you know how it is. [Linked Image]

If you'd like to see some more info on this and links to scheduled seminar locations and dates it is on their website at:
http://www.leviton.com/lin/certification/lincertification.htm

Bill

Bill
#15004 10/06/02 08:09 PM
C
We're doing alot of this stuff. All Leviton so far. Its nice, its neat, and it gives the home owner a lot more control. We've even put them in hotel conference rooms, it allows the hotel operator to control where they can have data hook-ups in the room or telephone hook-ups. We're running a structured cable to every drop. Two cat5's and two coaxes in the cable.

#15005 10/06/02 08:29 PM
M
Bill,

I attended the course last year. Also paid for 3 of my employees to attend.

We all found the course extreemely informative.

I decided on the course because my employees and I had no "hands on" training in the data field nor any practical work experience.

If someone does have a lot of data experience the course probably wouldn't be worth while. You would only see it as a sales pitch from Leviton.

You are right about the warranty extensions on some products but it never became a factor. I've been told that there are other less expensive brands out there just as good in quality.

If someone does a lot of resi. work and is just getting into structured wiring I would recomend the course. On the couple of residential bids that I put in since the course, I printed a "Certified Installer" logo on my letter head ( with the permission of Leviton of course)along with the standard leviton sales pitch worked into the proposal.

Looked impressive but the home owners in my area are not interested nor can they afford such bells and whistles.

So I should say I never did install a Leviton or any other system.

#15006 10/08/02 12:38 PM
We all found the course extreemely informative
I'm glad to hear that. It is one area that I think many should look into, and this seems like an easy way to do it.

Bill

Bill
#15007 10/09/02 06:59 PM
Broom Pusher and
Per Structured Wiring, is this referring to Comm / Data and Security / CCTV systems?
If so, been doing this for many Years.
Definitely would be an area for E.C.s to get involved with! Learning the "Stuff To Know" is not very difficult, so get to know the specs / info and give it a try!

Post Q's here as situations arise.

Scott S.E.T.

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#15008 10/09/02 08:49 PM
B
buckman Offline OP
Master 66..

Where did you come in price wise with your bids? Meeting with a new home owner tomorrow and would like to give her a ballpark figure.

Buckman

#15009 10/10/02 08:08 PM
M
buckman,

I only included it on two jobs. One gigantic house remodel / addition and one total house remodel where they tore out everything down to the bare studs.

Didn't get either job. Other than that the people around here have never even heard of structured wiring. And 80% can't afford it.

Sorry I can't help.

#15010 10/10/02 08:49 PM
H
Buckman,

Do you have any local contractors associations by you? In my county there is a contractors assoc. for local members. They sponser classes and course for various things through out the year. It might be something to look into.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard