ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#150035 08/13/04 10:24 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guy's,
There have been testers around to do this sort of test, for years.
I note that a number of two probe testers give a Phase Rotation reading on them, in the form of a circular arrow on an LCD screen.
Could someone please correct my way of thinking, in so much as,I was under the impression, to effect a decent 3 Phase Rotation test, you had to have a tester that would connect to and test all 3 of the phases.
The question I ask, is this, how can a 2 probe tester do the same job as a 3 Clamp tester?

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
R
Ron Offline
I cannot imagine a wiring configuration with only two phases that would tell a phase rotation for all three. Could you share a product manufacturer and model?
This one has three wires connected. http://www.traknet.com/wei/aemc9.html
My understanding is many rotation testers are really small induction motors that rotate in a direction relative to the phase rotation measured/applied.

Maybe an electronic meter could see phases AB, determine that they are 120 deg out of phase and assume that the third phase is either before the A or after the B, resulting in clockwise rotation either way ABC or CAB.

[This message has been edited by Ron (edited 08-13-2004).]

Ron
P
Hmmm..... I don't recall ever seeing a two-probe tester, but I don't get involved with 3-phase much.

Let's say you connected to two phases, A and B. There are only two basic possibilities no matter which two of the three phases you picked at random:

#1. A leads B by 120 degrees. Therefore C must lag B by 120 and lead A by 120 deg.

#2. A lags B by 120 degrees. Therefore C must lead B by 120 deg. and lag A by 120 deg.

So as I see it, you could prove rotation in this way.

However......

You would still need three connections to be able to get a reference point for A and B.

In the case of, say a British/NZ 415Y/240-volt system, we know that A and B are 240V to ground. But unless you have a third reference point, you have no way to determine which lags or leads the other with respect to ground.

Any instrument connected solely across A and B with no other point of reference will see only a simple 415V RMS sinusoidal waveform, nothing more.

A suitably sensitive device might be able to use capacitive coupling to the user's hand to obtain a ground reference. That's the only way I can think of.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 08-13-2004).]

B
I don’t think phase sequence can be defined with less than three connections. Trumpy, do the red, cylindrical testers {forgot the brand} you spoke of use three leads for phase sequence tests?

D
The Ideal, Greenlee and Amprobe testers all have 3 leads... I too am cornfuzed...

Trumpy Offline OP
Bjarney, the information about the Duspol tester, that uses 2 probes to effect a Phase-sequence test can be found at this site:
=http://www.benning.de.paus-service.de/cmsfiles/784314_duspol_gb.pdf http://www.benning.de.paus-service.de/cmsfiles/784314_duspol_gb.pdf
Edit: Bad link!

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-18-2004).]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 08-18-2004).]

R
Mike,
Is this the one ?
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
C
C-H Offline
Try this link

I've seen these testers too and never understood how they work.

B
Mike, thanks. For the life of me I could not remember “Duspol.”
www.benning.de/alt/englisch/eduspols.pdf www.trueshopping.co.uk/product.php?...=5&pn=Draper+Duspol+S+Voltage+Tester

“…Indicates The Phase-sequence Direction of a Three-phase Main Provided The Neutral is Earthed.”

That may mean: two phases and a neutral, which is a valid phase-sequence test.

R
bj,
But the tester only has two leads.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard