ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
We have almost everything that has been said. Also something i see alot in the japanesse factories i have worked in is that they love to build cages around the entire mach except were the operator works. we use alot of door saftey switchs and limits. In my 10yrs of maint experience i would say one of the biggest reasons people by pass its the time factor they get tired of waitting. This problem usually could be solved if the engineer who decided to put the saftey componet in would listen to the maint guy and the operator a little more often. As for the pull cords we have them on our paint line and assembly lines

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
Trumpy, sorry I haven't been back, 7 days a week at work. I agree with jlh about switches being bypassed is to save time. We have 5 manufacturing lines that use a pull cord E-stop. We test aour E-stop devices when the machine is PM'd. The co. I work for just recently posted that if anyone is caught not wearing PPE or defeating safety devices they can be dismissed.

Trumpy Offline OP
spkjpr,
No worries, mate!, [Linked Image]
Good to see you're still getting time to post here, you're more than welcome.
The co. I work for just recently posted that if anyone is caught not wearing PPE or defeating safety devices they can be dismissed.
I wouldn't hesitate to dismiss a person that was found to be tampering with E-stops and the like, after all we don't put these things in for the sheer fun of it!.
What would happen if some guy lost a limb because the guy on the shift before disabled the E-stop?. [Linked Image]

S
Hey Trumpy, I just investigated a workplace accident where the employee was actually injured when he got into the electrical panel to shut off the power to the light curtains and alarms on a line. Not only is it a GREAT case why unqulaified personnel should not be opening electrical panels they know nothing about, it is a prime example of the lengths that employees will go to, to defeat the very mechanics in place to protect their futures. The employee was fired and the Union is taking his termination to arbitration. Not slamming unions here, but here is a guy that put an additional 40+ workers at risk should he have been sucessful in shutting down the systems and the very union that he put at risk is fighting for him!!!! I am sorry but this is one that they should just let go.

Trumpy Offline OP
SAFETENG,
the employee was actually injured when he got into the electrical panel to shut off the power to the light curtains and alarms on a line.
Well,
This certainly heralds a new era in stupidity.
I've never liked the idea of Un-Authorised Personnel, having access to Circuit-Breakers, Fuses or any other equipment that is installed for the protection of Life and Property.
Also, I'd agree, that the Union, should leave this one alone.
To represent a worker that has done a thing like this, sounds rather strange.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard