ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
"I just built a 50' x 100' metal building. I plan on using 60' of this bldg for and metal fab/auto repair shop. I plan to use the other 40' for a wood shop. I have a lot of equip to place in the shop (ie wire welders, metal and wood lathes, planers, jointers, autolifts, sand blaster, forge,metal and wood bandsaws, table saws drill presses, presses, etc.). I just acquired 24 240V 400W Metal Halide lights to install in the shop. I dont plan on running a business out of the shop. Its just going to be a place where I can work on all my projects when I retire in 3 yr. Its located in the country. I want to buy wire to run the electricity. Obviously I will be running both 120 and 220 circuits. Can you explain what the code (like THHN and AWG etc.) means and tell me what I should try to find. Any electricians I talk to say dont worry about it they will get the wire for me. They also indicate that it may cost me as much as $20K to wire my shop. I think I can save substantial $s if I just know what kind of wire to buy and wire it myself. I figure on using #8 or #10 stranded wire for 22O circuits and #12 solid copper for 12O circuits. I think I will have runs as long as 120 ft from the circuit box (200A 40 space Square D box)which will be located on one side of the bldg about 40' from the end. What kind of wire and conduit do you recommnend? and is conduit necessary?."
[Linked Image]

S
oh boy.... [Linked Image]

S
E~Scott.....Is this a recent post?

E
This is from today. It is not under the bulletin board. It is in the "Fix it for'em"

N
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

R
I, wish I had a work shop like that. (with real wiring) [Linked Image]

Roger

I sent the writer an email.He should be made aware of the discussion going on here.

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 10-06-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
S
I hope you arent located to far in the country for the fire department can get to you in a timely manner

G
i predict its gonna take a helluva lot more than a 200a. service to run all of that stuff. unless he's intending on running it only one or two machines at a time.

shocked

S
I've responded there, hopefully some good will come of it.

gramps,
a great observation there!
codewise we would add up a demand load calc from art 220, no consideration for the diversity of a possible sole proprietor vs. employer.

a thread in itself for sure....... [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard