ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#149121 07/09/03 10:09 AM
B
I can't help but find this kind of funny, considering the man is okay and that no real harm was done. And, I know the feeling of being in a tight attic space in the middle of summer here in Florida!

07/09/03
Cable installer trapped in attic

HARBOUR HEIGHTS -- Tuesday wasn't a good day for David Brown.

The cable installer, a subcontractor for Comcast, found himself stuck in an attic for a half-hour before he was rescued.

"I just crawled into a place I couldn't get out of," Brown said after he was freed by Charlotte County Fire & EMS. He was laying cable at a house on Chesterfield Road in the Harbour Heights area when he got trapped around 10 a.m.

The residents of the house, who were downstairs, realized Brown's predicament when they heard him yelling "I'm stuck, call 911!"

Fire & EMS arrived quickly. After analyzing the situation, they determined they could free Brown by cutting a non-load-bearing truss, said Fire & EMS spokeswoman Dee Hawkins.

The situation sounds comical -- until one considers the temperature. "If it's 90 (degrees) outside, it's 110 in the attic," said Steve Demay, a Comcast employee who was also laying cable at the house.

Brown was unharmed in the ordeal. Afterward, he lay on the driveway, recuperating.

"How hot do you think it was? It's an attic in Florida in July," he said. He got the rest of the day off.

Bryan P. Holland, ECO.
Secretary - IAEI Florida Chapter
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#149122 07/09/03 10:12 AM
P
If it's 90 (degrees) outside, it's 110 in the attic," said Steve Demay, a Comcast employee
I'd say if it's 90 outside it's probably quite a lot higher than 110 in the attic.

Wonder how on earth he got so firmly stuck?

#149123 07/09/03 04:58 PM
B
Heat-induced expansion?

#149124 07/09/03 08:52 PM
T
Afterward, he lay on the driveway, recuperating.

Was that an asphalt driveway?
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

#149125 07/10/03 07:35 AM
Being on the Fire side of things,
about 3 years ago, we responded to a Plumber that was trapped in a roof-void(attic) and we ended up having to lift the roofing iron, to rescue him.
This happens a lot more than what is commonly realised, but add attic heat to the equation, what would have happened, if there was no-one in the house apart from the Tradesperson?.
I've been in the same situation, (becoming trapped in an attic space) and it isn't nice!.
You just have to relax, control your breathing, sit there and THINK, how can you get yourself out of this.
The worst thing you can do, is use up valuable body strength, trying to "bash" your way out!.
I used my Basic FF training from doing Breathing Apparatus courses(which are tight and HARD to manueover(sp?)through and you get stuck from time to time, but, there is a logical way out of everything!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard