ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
This bloody tale comes to us by way of the Daily News. A 56 year old meter reader for Florida Power & Light Co. got pounced on by four pit-bull dogs as she approached a customer's yard.

This is from the June 04, 2003 edition of the New York Daily News

Pit bulls rip ear off Fla. meter reader

By DEREK ROSE
DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

A 56-year-old Florida meter reader was savaged yesterday by four pit bulls who leaped a fence and tore off her ear and part of her scalp.

The woman was airlifted to a hospital for surgery following the 8:30 a.m. attack in Brevard County's Port St. John, about 50 miles east of Orlando.

"She was reading meters this morning, and as she approached the yard four pit bulls came up over the fence and attacked her," said Florida Power & Light Co. spokesman Bill Swank.

Identified only as Carol, the woman somehow broke free and locked herself in her pickup.

She drove a few blocks and then tumbled out, screaming for a neighbor to call 911.

Joe Fisher, 65, did not even recognize his longtime meter reader.

"It was very gruesome," he said. "I've seen dead people, I've seen hamburger on the side of the road - but this was bad."

The woman was missing a 6-inch chunk of scalp - and her right ear was dangling in what was left of her hair.

"I wiped blood out of her nose, her mouth, whatever," Fisher told the Daily News.

A retired steam plant chief operator, Fisher has some medical training and administered first aid until the ambulance arrived.

"I got her in a chair, I didn't want to lay her down in a horizontal position," he said. "Thank goodness she did not go into shock."

Capt. David Polomski of Brevard County Animal Services and Enforcement told The Associated Press that one pit bull was caught and the others were being sought.

The dogs' owner, David Teuche, faces up to $2,160 in fines, Polomski said. He was previously fined $40 for having a loose dog.

Teuche does not have a listed phone number and could not be reached for comment.

Originally published on June 4, 2003

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
B
Heck with pepper spray. If pilots are going to carry pistols, then it should be machete training and flame-thrower school for meter readers.

I went on an Estimate once and was attacked by a dog in the street outside the house. It bit the back of my leg up pretty good and I had to duct tape a roll of paper towels to my calf to keep the blood from dripping all over my new truck as I left.

Where was I going?? They would put the dog away now, could I come in the house and take a look??

I called the Landlord who had sent me there and he seemed more upset that I didn't look at the job. The Landlord, who I'd done work for several times was apathetic about it, what could he do about it .... I did not paid for going out there, or reimbursed for the trip to the medical clinic or even the pair of pants that got torn.

I think now that I could have done something, but still not sure what. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Bill

Bill
Bill,
I've never been attacked by a dog, but, over here, we recently had a case where the posties in Southern Auckland(up North) refused to deliver mail to any of the streets that had "dangerous" dog breeds in that street.(breeds like Pit-Bulls, Staffordshire Terriers, etc).
Before this, apparently 1 postie a week was being attacked by these dogs.
It's the owners, not the dogs to blame!!. [Linked Image]

Sven,
Were the dogs "put down"?.
We had a case here recently where a 7y/o was mauled around the face by two Pit-Bulls in a Park.
I blame it on In-breeding of fighting traits.

E
Forget pepper spray. Florida has concealed carry - I think any of these would do the trick: http://www.ontarget-inc.com/handguns.htm

S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Trumpy, No I haven't heard if the dogs were all found yet.

Electech: I dunno if even a gun would be of any help. Keep in mind the dog probably worked on the element of surprise. The snarling and then pouncing on you would probably not give you any time to react and pull out the pepper spray or the gun.

I like the Ruger "Vaquero" revolver at the bottom of the page... [Linked Image]

To me those black semi-automatic pistols always looked like they were made out of plastic (like the toy guns you can buy in the supermarket). Nothing like a big Dirty Harry cannon....

IMHO,
Shoot the dogs!!!.
They've got the taste of blood, they'll do it again!!. [Linked Image]
[Edited to remove bad language]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 06-14-2003).]

P
Years ago, I was working in a house with a helper. My wife was pregnant and due any moment. The owners of the house bred Doberman Pinchers. After we started, the owners left, we were working in the kitchen with one entrance. After a while, I looked back and two Dobies were sitting like statues in the doorway. ( I am only scared of dogs when they bare teeth)
At the same time my wife calls and tells me her water broke and is ready to have the baby (I am about 15 miles from home). I attempt to leave, but the dogs BARE THEIR TEETH- JEEZ!!! and will not let me pass.
So I have to jump out the window, the only problem is my helper is afraid of heights and cannot jump. I left him there - had to go- he was able to leave when the homeowners got home- 6 pm that night!!

Pierre

Pierre Belarge
Pierre,
Welcome to ECN, mate!. [Linked Image]
Hope the birth went OK.
First Child?.
Back to the topic, I hate the breeds of dogs that have a menacing look to them, aka Pit Bulls, Staffy's, Alsations(sp?).
Give me a Collie any day!. [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard