ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
Hi there guys,
Now that the weather is starting to warm up here, the idea of a Station Open Day has been thrown into the ring.
We've had these in the past and although we don't usually have any problems drawing people to them, we have run short of ideas on how to make this year's one better.
We have the usual things, like:
  • Fire Appliances, for the kiddies to jump all over and hop inside.
  • Static displays of Fire Safety related topics.
  • Live Fire-fighting/MVA Rescue Demonstrations.
    (mind you, these really only end up scaring the younger members of the crowd watching)
  • Tours of the Station, (not including the Station Bar!)

We also have the local Ambulance Service at the Open Day too and they usually have a few displays on First Aid and the like.
But, what I am trying to do is make this years Open Day more interactive, for the people that are going to turn up to it.
It's really the only time during the year that we can communicate with the public, one-on-one, in a relaxed environment, which is never the case when we are dealing with people at fires and other incidents.
I realise that there are a number of Fire-fighters here at ECN and I would like to ask for your help and throw some ideas around on how to improve the delivery of this Open Day.
But, I'm not limiting this discussion to FF's only, if you've got an idea, by all means, have your say!.
Thanks for your time. [Linked Image]

Mike :]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
N
They had one a month or so ago here in Malden MA. The engine and ladder truck were pulled out for the kids to climb into for photos. In the bay, they had an old pullbox demo showing the box, relay, and gong. They also had the smokehouse (a trailer with a fire safety tour; the last room has a smoke machine that fills the room with non-toxic smoke, and the firemen help the kids out the window and down a waiting ladder. They had demos that they did twice during the day - they lit a junked car and then extinguised it. Then they used the jaws of life to pop the doors and remove the roof. They demoed the effects of an M80 on an orange and an apple to (hopefully) scare kids away from playing with fire crackers, and had a line that the kids could use to squirt the side of a nearby building.

Oh yes, the local pizza shop donated pizza and someone donates slush and punch, so there were free snacks.

Trumpy Offline OP
n1ist,
Thanks a heap for your input mate.
I want to make this thing the best event in the Ashburton Fire Brigade and also the Ashburton citizens Calender(sp?).
I don't want people to leave this event, thinking that they were only there for the free Sausage sizzle!.
I want people to actually THINK about the level of Fire Safety, that they have at home and around their workplaces.
One display that I have made myself is from timber, and it shows various escape routes with fires starting in different parts of the house.
You'd be amazed how many people could not find a way out of thier own house, should it be charged with smoke.
We have a smoke machine that I will take a few teens aside and get them to find thier way out of the station here.
It's amazing where they end up!

Link Copied to Clipboard