ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat Box
Recent Posts
Happy Thanksgiving
by HotLine1 - 11/26/20 12:11 PM
Ground fault remover :-)
by NORCAL - 11/26/20 08:13 AM
Work Gloves?
by sabrown - 11/25/20 01:54 PM
Insulated Tools: A Waste of Money?
by sabrown - 11/25/20 01:52 PM
What does your work place look like?
by Lostazhell - 11/25/20 02:56 AM
New in the Gallery:
Facebook follies, bad wiring
FPE in Germany pt.2
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (HotLine1), 17 guests, and 21 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Teachers burned by UV light from cracked halide lamp #148351 09/16/04 03:04 PM
Joined: Oct 2000
Posts: 3,632
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
Member
Teachers burned by UV light from cracked halide lamp
9/14/2004

Source: Canadian Occupational Health and Safety News
Quote
September 13, 2004 -- Moosomin, Sask (Canadian OH&S News)--The first day of school was delayed for Moosomin, Sask-area teachers and students when teachers reported sunburn-like symptoms after attending a back-to-school meeting in the McNaughton High School gymnasium.

About 90 teachers from five schools attended the all-day meeting. That evening, 26 teachers, who had been sitting together in a small section of the gym, reported painful rashes, burns, eye irritation and facial swelling. Twenty-two sought medical attention, and six were kept in hospital overnight for observation, says Department of Labour spokesman Dallas McQuarrie.

Classes at McNaughton and MacLeod Elementary, which were scheduled to start September 1, were cancelled pending a health and safety investigation to determine the source of irritation.

Occupational hygienists from the Department of Labour tested air and dust samples when the incident occurred on August 31. But the irritant remained unknown until a maintenance person, who was replacing a metal halide light in the gym, noticed a crack in its outer shell. "One of the lights seemed to be burning at a different colour than the others, so when he changed the light, he noticed the envelope was cracked," says Harold Laich, director of education for Moosomin School District.

McQuarrie says the teachers suffered various degrees of sunburn due to a leakage of UV radiation from the light bulb, comparable to a burn experienced by sitting all day in the sun. The Labour department plans to issue a hazard alert on these bulbs, warning employers of potential UV exposure risks.

In the mean time, Laich says all metal halide lamps at Moosomin District 9 schools have been checked, and will be replaced with safety lamps designed to automatically extinguish the arch tube when the outer envelope is cracked.

The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety says whether occurring naturally from the sun, or artificially from sources like mercury lamps and welding equipment, UV rays can be hazardous depending on the wavelength, intensity and duration of exposure.

The labour department is continuing its investigation. Classes at the two schools resumed September 3.
(submitted by Tony Moscioni)

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Re: Teachers burned by UV light from cracked halide lamp #148352 09/18/04 09:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 8,346
Trumpy Offline
Member
Thanks for the "heads-up", Tony!.
Strangely though, this isn't the first time I've read about this.
I have also heard of the 250 and 400W Metal Halide lamps exploding after having cracked outer envelopes. [Linked Image]


Featured:

2020 National Electrical Code
2020 National Electrical
Code (NEC)

* * * * * * *

2020 Master Electrician Exam Preparation Combos
2020 NEC Electrician
Exam Prep Combos:
Master / Journeyman

 

Member Spotlight
TOOL_5150
TOOL_5150
Bay Area
Posts: 61
Joined: August 2007
Show All Member Profiles 
Top Posters(30 Days)
Trumpy 9
Popular Topics(Views)
271,965 Are you busy
205,853 Re: Forum
193,929 Need opinion
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3