ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 151 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#147849 03/11/03 08:05 PM
L
Has anyone seen alternatives to the typical string light sets or Quartz Halogen stand lights used on construction projects? Many problems associated with the typical lighting sets, include broken bulbs and protective cages leaving exposed elements and sockets. The quartz halogen sets are fragile as well and generate alot of heat. I have seen some advances in LED light clusters being used in other applications, but the costs are not anywhere near affordable (yet) in this type of application. Just looking for ideas that some of you may have seen around the country.

Thanks

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
#147850 03/11/03 09:48 PM
S
The guys that set up the "sidewalk sheds" when doing facade work (you may have seen them if you live/work in a big city) are now using fluorecent lighting (enclosed fixtures) instead of the porcelain lampholders with the yellow plastic cages. It does give much brighter light than the anemic incandecent bulbs, runs much cooler (saves on the electric bill) and last much longer.

But I suspect the biggest reason they're doing this is to prevent bulb pilferage by passers-by at night. [Linked Image]

I don't think the fixtures they use are rated for outdoors. They look like standard indoors fluorecent lights to me (a tin box, containing two bulbs with a translucent plexiglas cover).

#147851 03/11/03 11:21 PM
I
We use 175watt HID fixtures in office space and 250 to 400 watt HIDs in retail space.

Here is the 175 HID

[Linked Image from homedepot.com]
We get it with out the photo cell and install a 3/8" rod thru the top for a beam clamp. Home Depot lists them with lamp at $24 but I know we get them cheaper, we lose a few each job but the reduced lamp replacements make up for that.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 03-11-2003).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts

Link Copied to Clipboard