ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
OSHA Professor,
I was told by an OSHA rep that electroliner and similar products are not permitted to be use as covers on hot panels when they are not being worked on. I was told that if the panel is energized and accessible, then the metal panel covers must be in place. He told me that the only permitted use it to cover live parts in a panel that is being worked on while energized.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
OSHA Professor:
Thank you very much for the informative post.
Your info is appreciated.
John

John
A
Well, since OSHA Professor decided to point out my posts, I figured it only fair to register and post a response myself to this discussion. [Linked Image]

First, I have to agree that some of the prices were a little on the high side for the safety equipment mentioned sparky66wv, but I am also sensitive to the fact that some of youare just trying to make a living, and this is additional cost to you. I'll back up OP by repeating that any of you can call HFS and mention that OSHA Professor or Andy Shockmore gave you the number and you'll get the best treatment available. EVen if you've found a lower price, they'll beat it if possible.

But this is really what you have to consider....how much is your life...or even the QUALITY of your life...worth? I'm sure the electrician here locally who decided to install a circuit breaker in a live panel in Sears is wondering that. He was burned over 60% of his body. There are some things to consider about all of this. Why are you working live? This safety equipment is only needed for LIVE work. If you insist on working live (for whatever reason) and you do wear/use the gear described in this thread, are you aware that it is designed to reduce the injuries sustained (when used properly) to a "curable burn"? A "curable burn" is 2nd degree burns.

To once again back up what OSHA Professor said, the typical electrician should have as a minimum:

FR Uniform OR FR coveralls (for live work).
Face Shield (for live work)
Class 0 or 00 gloves with leather protectors, glove bag and dust (for live work)
Safety Shoes with an EH (Electrical Hazard) rating on the sole
insulated flat/phillips screwdrivers (for live work)

If you need more than this you really need to reconsider the work you do live or you are probably performing specialized tasks.

O
Again, thanks to all for your appreciation and support. Best wishes for a safe and prosperous year.
OSHA Professor- Grizzy

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard