ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Admin Offline OP
Administrator
WASHINGTON, D.C. - In cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), Montrose Wholesale Candies & Sundries Inc., of Chicago, Ill., is voluntarily recalling about 247,000 disposable cigarette lighters. The lighters do not have child-resistant mechanisms, as required by federal law. Young children could ignite the lighters, presenting fire and burn hazards.

These "BIC" brand lighters were illegally imported into the United States by Montrose Wholesale Candies & Sundries, Inc., a Chicago importer. This recall does not involve lighters sold in the U.S. by BIC. In the United States, BIC sells only lighters with a child resistant mechanism. BIC notified CPSC of these illegally imported lighters, and CPSC investigators caught the non-child-resistant lighters for sale in several stores in the Chicago area. All disposable lighters imported and sold in the U.S. are required by law to be child-resistant.

CPSC and Montrose Wholesale Candies & Sundries are not aware of any injuries involving these lighters. This recall is being conducted to prevent the possibility of injuries.
[Linked Image from cpsc.gov]
A recalled lighter without
a child-resistant mechanism

[Linked Image from cpsc.gov]
A lighter with a child-resistant mechanism

Click >> more info

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 12-19-2002).]

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
Where were these lighters made?.
What's the bet that they were imported from China, just a cheap(but unsafe) copy of a really good lighter.
We have heaps of really shonky lighters over here in NZ, I only buy BIC, they are made in France, they are dependable quality!,but at a price, but who cares how much they cost, they're safe! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 02-20-2003).]

T
I've never seen the childproof type here in Austria. We even have lighters with piezo ignition where you just have to press the button.

S
We have those here too....but they're the fancy refillable ones.

Bottom line, keep your lighter AWAY from your kids at all times, even if it's empty!!!

SvenNYC,
If you are a parent and you let your children play around with Cigarette Lighters,
you deserve all that you get, if the child is injured or your house burns down. [Linked Image]
(BTW, Sven, This not personal, I am talking hypothetically). [Linked Image]

S
Mike, I fully agree with you.

The same applies to matches. Keep them hidden, locked up or whatever. Just don't leave them lying around the house as if they were harmless toothpicks!!!

From time to time you also hear horrendous stories on the radio about children who get burned to death because their parents left them home alone with a burning candle while they ran out to the store. [Linked Image]

T
My parents always keep matches and lighters on top of a 7 ft high kitchen cupboard, and I think that's a good idea. We're all tall enough to reach them (I'm 6'4") and kids don't even have the slightest chance of reaching them.
And since we don't need them frequently (only for lighting occasional candles or when the gas range ignition doesn't work) it doesn't really matter anyway.
Just to give a personal example underlining that I completely agree with you.

:
we only do have the unprotected lighters here, never seen this child protection here in germany. how does it work?

R
They work by requiring a particlure sequence or excessive pressure to get the flame. As I smoker myself, I think they're a bit hard to get used to, but it is worth the added protection.

Also, I have yet to see one that is not easily adaptable to "non-child proof". [Linked Image]

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
S
Most BIC disposable lighters like the ones pictured are made in France (at least all the ones I've seen are).

Bics have a little metal spring tab that covers the center groove of the strike wheel. To ignite the lighter you press your thumb a bit harder than usual in order to bend the tab down and allow your finger to spin the wheel instead of just slipping over it. Remove said spring-tab and you're in business.

Other lighters (usually the Chinese ones) have a little lock lever under the fuel valve that you have to push in before striking and pressind down the fuel valve. Those can be "de safetied" but it's more difficult and you risk damaging the lighter sometimes.

Still other Chinese lighters have a non-defeatable safety mechanism whereby you have to press firmly down on a smooth strike wheel.

The two outer flanges don't have grooves in them and are loosely coupled to the inner striking wheel. You have to press down on the two outer wheels so they "clutch" the inner wheel and then turn to flick the lighter on. If you don't press hard enough they just spin around like a pair of washers on a bolt.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 10-24-2003).]

Link Copied to Clipboard