Haven Officer Electrocuted by Wiring

Monday, March 11, 2002, By JOHN CHAMBLISS, The Ledger

INVERNESS -- A Winter Haven police officer was electrocuted Saturday afternoon while hanging a ceiling fan at the home of his girlfriend's parents in Inverness, the Winter Haven Police Department reported. Corey Jon Bacon, 26, who has been with the department for four years, was in the attic hammering a bracket to hold a fan when he was electrocuted about 1 p.m., said Winter Haven police Sgt. Joey Yeako. "The voltage line was hidden by insulation and the nail went through the line," Yeako said. Yeako speculated that Bacon hammered into a 220-volt line. Bacon was taken by ambulance to Citrus Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead about 2 p.m., a nursing supervisor said. Bacon moved from Maryland to Winter Haven in 1998, police said. "He was a good guy, an aggressive officer," Yeako said. After completing his basic training at South Florida Community College, he joined the Winter Haven Police Department and served as an officer and field training officer, police reported. In 2001, Bacon received the DEUCE award from MADD for his aggressive enforcement of drunk driving laws. Police Major Mary Mariani said Bacon was an intelligent officer who had a chance to move up the ranks at the department. "He went out and did his job well," Mariani said Sunday. "But he still had a kind side and always thought of others." "He was helping others when he died," Mariani said. "He will be missed." John Chambliss can be reached at john.chambliss@theledger.com <mailto:john.chambliss@theledger.com >or 863-802-7539.[/b]
Courtesy: www.Safteng.net