ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
SAFTENG Offline OP
Electrician departed from safe practice and lost his life

A fatal accident inquiry into the death of Jim Duncan, an experienced self-employed plumber/electrician, who was electrocuted in an Aberdeen flat last August, has heard from an electrical expert that his death resulted from his failure to adopt a safety strategy in his work task.
Mr Duncan would not have died if he had switched off the power, left a cover on a thermostat containing live terminals, or even worn protective insulating gloves prior to inspecting a water tank.
Live terminals
Sheriff Alasdair McFadyen declared that Mr Duncan was electrocuted because he contacted a live part while undertaking plumbing work in the property.
Mr Duncan entered the bathroom to access a water tank in a cupboard behind a bath. When the resident of the flat addressed him from outside he received no reply, and when he entered the room he discovered the electrician slumped over the cupboard.

Investigation
Investigating the death, Mr John Madden, HSE's Scottish Principal Electrical Inspector found the cover of the thermostat next to the tank had been removed exposing live conductors. It had been established also that the power had not been switched off at the time of the accident.
Mr Madden said: "If Mr Duncan had reached into the cupboard to adjust the thermostat with the cover off, it is highly likely that he would also have touched one of the live terminals."

Visit www.SAFTENG.net for more electrical accidents and other industrial accidents.

Arc Flash PPE Clothing, LOTO & Insulated Tools
S
self-employed plumber/electrician,

An electrician huh? sounds more like Mr. handyman to me, as i know of few dual masters.

If indeed so, this should not be thrown into the catagory of 'Fried Electricians' should it?

We have enough questionable stat's already.

Sparky,

I think that we're after accidents related to Electricity, this helps us increase our awareness of what can happen and avoid it. We're not building up statistics.

If I'm not mistaken we have at least one Electrician/Plumber as a regular here at the Forums.

Bill

Bill

Link Copied to Clipboard