ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 96 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J
Ok i told these guys they need to call an electrician, but what do you think is going on here:

The guy has an outside receptecal that he hooked an extension cord to and ran to a shed which he ran 4 lights off of and then tried to run a drill and stuff this contiuned to trip the breaker which he continued to reset. Then the receptecal quite working all together no power. so they replaced the receptacle and it worked for a week or so and then they triped the breaker agian and the outlet wouldn't work any more the breaker is on but no power to outlet. So they replaced the GFI breaker for this circuit and i worked for a little bit then no power at outlet and the breaker is not triped and now one receptecal in the bathroom has no power as well.
I told them they never should have ran the cord to the shed and that they were overloading the circuit and probably burnt some wires somewere and better get an electrician in there ASAP. What is your take on the situation.

Sounds like a lose connection in a J-box somewhere. Better start pulling receptacles out, and checking. I hate it when that happens.

Trip, reset, trip, reset, trip, reset, reset...reset...?
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
T
Yep...Sounds like the all too familiar "loose connection at a backstabbed device".
Time to go"huntin" for it.

Donnie
E
An extension cord laying on the ground will often trip a GFCI due to the capacitance between the conductors and the earth, or leakage through the insulation.

I've seen cases where all it took to fix the problem was to hang the cord on a fence to get it of the ground.

Ed

[This message has been edited by electric-ed (edited 09-27-2002).]

J
had electrician know check it out and he found some bad receptacles and conections all is good now, told the old guy better quite playing with the electric.

Link Copied to Clipboard