ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 409 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
K
Johno12345 Would you get in trouble for breaking the PoCo seals and changing the fuse yourself ?

Here in NZ you can break PoCo seals as long as you are an electrician with a good reason and you call them when you do it.

Paul,
Same side of the coin, where has half of Wales gone?.
Sorry I was trying to be a smart-arse.

J
I did't change the fuse. I got permission to break the seals from British Gas. If/when it blows, I will call them out to replace it.

I took my time, I hurried up, The choice was mine, I didn't think enough
I
Hello everyone - long time since I've been in!

I do mean BS3036, it is a fusible link through a ceramic tube. It looks like it may have been double pole fusing but the neutral now has a solid link fitted. The cutout is bakelite and of 1954 vintage.

johno - be careful with those rewireables! The ceramic tubing you talk of was usually made from asbestos...

Paul - your colourful diagram missed off the Isle of Man! (We're not regulated by the UK so I won't take it personally!)

[Linked Image from gov.im]

D
djk Offline
They're supposed to be setting up Regional Markets in Europe so the UK, Ireland and a chunk of Northern France will all be a single market for power.

Should make things even more fun!

Our network operator and former monopoly:
[Linked Image from brandsoftheworld.com]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-11-2006).]

P
pauluk Offline OP
And that's supposed to say "ESB" for anyone who can't actually make it out! Did the designer of this new graphic have something against vertical lines?

your colourful diagram missed off the Isle of Man! (We're not regulated by the UK so I won't take it personally!)

Funny how the IoM is not part of the U.K. but they still included the island on the map (unlabeled), yet the RoI is not drawn on the map either despite not being part of the U.K. (well, not since 1921 anyway).

Don't worry chaps, Électricité de France will own the lot by 2010, since you can't buy us, but we can buy you!

Wonderful game Monopoly, but there's only one winner.

NOUS! Hahahahahahaha! [Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!
D
djk Offline
They've had that logo for quite a long time at this stage. I think it's a product of the 1970s and curvey design.

Well, the Isle of Man is a crown dependency. The Republic of Ireland's an entirely seperate country. It would have made more geographic sense to at least draw it in and grey it out. It makes it look like Northern Ireland's just floating there on its own.

It actually doesn't make sense to have Northern Ireland mentioned in that map at all. The NI market's not regulated in the same way as Britain. It has its own energy regulator and energy policy unit!

OFREG - Office for the Regulation of Electricity and Gas which is the public face of the NIAER - Northern Ireland Authority for Energy Regulation.

The Republic of Ireland has "CER" - The Commission for Energy Regulation.

There are gradual moves a foot for "All Ireland Energy Markets" i.e. where any player in NI will be able to operate in the Republic and visa versa.

ESB, Ireland main PoCo, remains a semi-state company (i.e. it's a publically owned corporation) but it's being split into varous business units to make things easier for competition. Until this point ESB was a fully vertically integrated power utility.

We've now got:
Eirgrid (Grid operator)
ESB Networks (Local network distribution and metering)
ESB Generation (Generation)
and ESB Customer Supply (Sells power to end users)

The generation arm of ESB is to be partially sold off in an effort to reduce its absolute dominance on power generation here. It currently produces almost all electricity and even though the market's been opened up other players have been slow to get in.

Rather than selling a % of the ESB off they're going to sell individual power stations to private operators. The ESB will retain about 70% of its current capacity.

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-15-2006).]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 12-15-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard