ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
What is it with the bureaucrats in local councils which makes them think they can ignore the law and impose their own arbitrary rules?

From http://www.tameside.gov.uk/corpgen/new/bldnoticenote.html
All wiring and electrical works must be designed, installed, inspected and tested in accordance with the requirements of BS 7671, the IEE 16 th edition wiring guidance.

Failure to comply with these regulations is an offence, and the Council can pursue a prosecution for a fine against any person contravening them

Haven't they yet accepted that Part P does not stipulate compliance with BS7671 as being a legal requirement?

K
I think the problem is that people do not realise that "Part P" relates to the "Building Regulations"

Things are so much simpler here in Scotland where the IEE regulations are considerd as the legal standard. Part P was intended to bring English wiring standards in line with Scottish wiring standards. Though I do agree with what you say, this clearly badly worded.

der Großvater
Is the word "guidance" in the above text now government shorthand for "mandatory"?
Why don't they just write "gimme money!"

Alan

Wood work but can't!
K
Alan

No in England the IEE regulations are just that "Guidance"
Where as for people like me living in Scotland the IEE regulations are the law so are "mandatory". Causes a lot of confussion. Th law is like that in other aspect over here.

Remember the Lockerbay bomer tried under Scottish law, we have three posible verdicts. Guilty, not guilty, & not proven. English law only reconises the first two.

Kenny

der Großvater
Well Paul,
It has been like this here in New Zealand, for the last couple of years.
Councils can stipulate anything they like, if you don't like it, you have the option to move away from their area.
Also, bring on the prestige area.
These people hate Sat dishes, TV aerials and anything that says real life.
I'm having a wicked argument with the local council at the moment, with respect to a piece of land I own and are allowed to build upon.
It is next to one of their "prestige developments".
Tough I say, councils should be able to plan things a bit better.
I had a permit to build a 40 foot radio tower,
as soon as the council found out that they would have this to contend with, they pulled my permit.
Just note that I was there first. [Linked Image]
Councils suck.
I have $10,000 tied up in RMA stuff, before I even start building work.
I want to build a bloody house on rural land, what is so difficult about that?.

Mike,
99 WAYS TO SKIN A CAT.
Check first, but you may find that 'works of art' are not covered by planning law in NZ, as your laws are basically written across from the English. Withdraw your antenna proposal in writng and build the house.

Then put up a 100 ft tall plastic banana! Or a glassfiber middle finger, that WOULD be really cool!! [Linked Image]
Some guy in the UK had a huge 50 ft glassfiber shark nosediving into his roof after a run-in with his Planning Gestapo. They went right up to the House of Lords to get an injunction to get it removed and failed.
Work of Art, not in their remit!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
G
I've got into disscussions with Tameside about their website. Their reply was:

----
In what sense are you unhappy?

failure to comply with Part P i.e. unsafe electrical works would be a building regs offence

If it is the final paragraph - this is a cautionary warning to owners

Let me know if you have any suggestions to improve the advice?
----

Any suggestions then?
Gideon.

G
Well, thanks for getting in touch with Tameside Council.

The guidance I accept is an over simplication of the complex provisions of Part P
I don't see the actual content of Part P as being particularly complex at all. Somewhat vague yes, but complex no.

At least you've received a somewhat helpful response, but I still think it is wrong for the council to be posting information on its website which is simply not correct (i.e. that work must comply with BS7671).

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-10-2006).]

K
So why did they just not say that
All electrical work has to notaifed to the council who will then send out an inspector after the work has been done to test and inspect the system. Unless the work is carried out by a suitibly registerd electrician who will test and notifiy the relevent authorites.

Kenny

der Großvater
P
pauluk Offline OP
Well, thanks for getting in touch with Tameside Council.

The guidance I accept is an over simplication of the complex provisions of Part P
I don't see the actual content of Part P as being particularly complex at all. Somewhat vague yes, but complex no.

At least you've received a somewhat helpful response, but I still think it is wrong for the council to be posting information on its website which is simply not correct (i.e. that work must comply with BS7671).

Link Copied to Clipboard