ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
I see from comments posted on other forums that there are currently proposals being discussed for the 17th edition of IEE Regs./BS7671 to allow the fitting of sockets in bathrooms.

If adopted the proposed revision would allow 30mA RCD-protected sockets to be fitted outside of zone 2 (i.e. more than 0.6m / 24" from any tub or shower) when the 17th ed. takes effect from mid-2008.

C
C-H Offline
That would put the IEE regs in line with e.g. the Swedish regs.

(Sorry if I'm not very active at the moment. I'm out on (business) trips a fair deal of the time. At home three nights in three weeks...)

Brilliant!! Now the morons can plug a fan heater in and have the bathroom door shut!

Wood work but can't!
W
But isn't that the actual rule on the whole continent? Sounds very familiar to me, also in F!

Ah, Wolfgang, touché. But remember the old Engineers' adage? Rules are guides for wise men but the strict adherence of fools?
I have a powerful coupé, but I don't drive at 175kph past the supermarket. [Linked Image]

Alan

Wood work but can't!
K
Not heard much about the new regs yet.

Thought it was a bit early to worry about them until I found this company already working to unpublished regulations ?

is this true?

der Großvater
P
pauluk Offline OP
Electrical - As well as technical mains our electricians provided dimmable task-lighting and dimmable fluorescent in all rooms. All work conform to IEE 17th edition safety regulations.

Must be great to have a psychic on the staff!

Paul,
I see from comments posted on other forums that there are currently proposals being discussed for the 17th edition of IEE Regs./BS7671 to allow the fitting of sockets in bathrooms.
Well, it's about time.
However in saying that, the only thing that springs to mind as being needed in a bathroom that would be required to have a socket, would be a hair-dryer.
All heating appliances (fan heaters and the like) should be wall-mounted and permanently-connected.
Oh and razors, but razor points have been allowed in the UK before today haven't they?.
(I'm talking about the Isolating transformer type sockets).
I can't really see a problem with any sort of electrical equipment in a bathroom, as long as it is installed correctly, kept away from water splashes and is (of course) protected via a properly installed and regularly tested RCD unit.
But the thing about that statement is, how many homeowners, even realise that RCD's have to be tested at least monthly, or even realise that they have them in the first place (until the lights go out one night).
If the mechanical part of the RCD freezes up (through lack of testing), you'd better hope that you aren't depending on the device tripping when it should.
Quite a few people have been killed like this.

Link Copied to Clipboard