ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
I didn't have to go very far for taking these pictures... they're right from my bedroom.

The 3-way next to my desk... right now feeding the iBook and inkjet printer.
[Linked Image]

Same style, other side of the window, supplying my vintage reading lamp - also shown in picture.
[Linked Image]

The back side of such a 3 way - they either plug into a single receptacle or screw onto the guts (mine are screwed on).
[Linked Image]

Light switch and receptacle - probably 1950s.
The brown zip cord with ungrounded plug is an extension cord feeding the TV, video and alarm clock.
[Linked Image]

Matching Schuko socket
[Linked Image]

The oldest stuff: switch and receptacle with glass face plate! (pre WWII, maybe even pre WWI). The receptacle is missing the painted piece of sheet metal behind the glass.
[Linked Image]

Way old light socket (think 1900-1910) with modern E27 light bulb - exposes a_lot_ of thread!
[Linked Image]

{ Images copied to ECN }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-20-2006).]

:
very nice pics. you must have a lot of trust in these old devices...
i think i couldn't have. i would have ripped it all out long ago and given reading lamp and tv extension a new cord.

T
I have grown up with such old stuff... i checked everything real closely, and since the cords don't show any damage I decided to trust them.
Besides, the lamp would look remuddled with any other cord... and new twisted lamp cord is _really_ expensive!

D
djk Offline
Those round schuko outlets were definitely used here at one stage.

I've seen them in 1950s buildings, although not in active service. They're usually burried in wood panelling / skirting boards and just never removed when rewiring happened and BS1363 outlets replaced them.

R
WE used the same non - earthed 3 way ppt's and T adaptors in Holland, when I lived there pre 1988.

These T adaptors were officially banned but were still around on flea markets and imporiums.
Mainly because you could stick a plug in them with one prong, while the other prong was fully exposed, and could be live !!

Also the combined light switch, powerpoint and earthed schuko socket are still around in a lot of older places.

Great piccies,

The switch with the glass plate is interesting, never seen those before.

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
D
djk Offline
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/ZZSI30Y1950.html
That gives you the full specification for the plug/socket system in Ireland from 1950!
complete with hand-drawn diagrams, specs etc for a 10A 2-pin earthed and non earthed plug/socket system. (Schuko)

Along with test procedures!!

There's the Irish Standards (original one) mark from 1950
[Linked Image]

Creepily like the CE mark!

"A standard mark shall include the words "Caighdeán Éireannach" or the initials "C.É." and may include the words "Irish Standard" or the initials "I.S." or any other mark."

Odd coincidence [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 06-19-2006).]

{ Edited for image }

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 06-24-2006).]

C
C-H Offline
Gaah! The CE marking is an Irish conspiracy! Where will they stop? Soon we'll all speak Irish or if we're lucky English with a strong accent...

K
aaagh Those old flexes. Have had bad experiances with those eway back in my yonger days. 60s and 70s before I became an electrician.

der Großvater
T
These T adaptors were officially banned but were still around on flea markets and imporiums.
They're theoretically banned here too, but still in wide use, even the smaler ones that are really bad (tend to wear loose and arc).
Everybody who works on old equipment likes to have those, since they allow to plug old round plugs (like on my lamp) into Schuko outlets. Nice for old radios and stuff.

The switch with the glass plate is interesting, never seen those before.
They seem to have been common in the 1920s and 30s, even in less than upscale homes (municipial housing to be precise).
Berker still makes them, €100 a switch I think.

@kenbo: what are you talking about? the flat plastic stuff or the twisted cloth from the lamp?
Believe me, I checked the rubber of that braided cloth cord _real_ close before plugging it in! It's not brittle at all and has no signs of mechanical damage. That stuff is incredibly flexible!

The wiring in the walls is part original 1913 cloth wire, part 1960s wire in conduit. Everything is on a 30mA RCD.
I believe originally there were two switches where the white one is now, but at some point they were split up and now there's one switch to either side of the door. The wiring for two lights or a split chandelier is still in the ceiling.

This kind of Schuko socket can be widely found in 1950s houses. Older ones sometimes have them in the kitchen. They have a porcelaine body and are close to indestructible.

S
Well, the figure-8 cord with the tape wrapped around it doesn't inspire much confidence. [Linked Image]

Isn't that stuff still sold over there? I know it's the most common type of flexible cordage over here for light-duty use.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard