ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#145557 06/05/06 08:20 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
The tribulations of a Brit sparky trying to sort out the paperwork down under:
http://britishexpats.com/articles/australia/electrician-in-oz/

M
Pauluk, is the 4 month course at tafe for your contractors lisence. If so (at least in SA) all i needed to do was prove i had worked as a contractor within the last 5 years, all this required was a stattiary declaration by my accountant, saved the money and time for the course. Cant see why it would matter if the accountant was based in the UK. Good luck, Just remember that all the drongos at the licensing board want is the boxes ticked, i dont think the know or care how it happens! Im still waiting to see if the beuracrats can see it as a smart thing to make lisencing Australia wide. As it is at present if you go to a construction site out of state technically you are working illegally, yet it is almost impossible to obatain a lisense in a state that you dont have a permanent address in. I did electrical as a second trade after completing instrumentation as my first trade so i can sympathise with you and the hoops you have to jump through. Good Luck

P
pauluk Offline OP
First he needs to get a TRA certificate. We foolishly thought that the one we got in England whilst going through the emigration fiasco was the one they need. It's not! This TRA certificate we were told is for emigration purposes only and can not be used again! So we needed to apply for another one exactly the same, with exactly the same information, i.e. references etc.

Don't ya just love the bureaucratic mind? [Linked Image]

M
I may be being ignorant but what is a TRA certificate?

P
pauluk Offline OP
I had no idea either, so Google to the rescue!

It appears to be an office dealing with equivalency of qualifications -- Trades Recognition Australia:
http://www.workplace.gov.au/workplace/Category/SchemesInitiatives/TRA/

B
If so (at least in SA) all i needed to do was prove i had worked as a contractor within the last 5 years.

Where had you previously been a contractor?

Im still waiting to see if the beuracrats can see it as a smart thing to make lisencing Australia wide.

There are people working on that and I don't think it will be too long before we have national tradesman licenses.

M
I had worked as a sub contractor at Olympic Dam in SA pre GST. I then Let my contractors lisence lapse as they increased the fees from free to about $180 per year. I thought i would just apply for it when i needed it again but they changed the rules and requied a course at tafe. Wont make that mistake again.

B
I had worked as a sub contractor at Olympic Dam in SA pre GST

There's a big difference between having previously been a contractor in the same state and having been one in another country.

M
I agree, but i also know that as long as you have all the boxes ticked you get the license. As bad as it may seem the people in charge of lisencing (at least in SA) seem to have no idea and blindly follow the procedures set down in front of them, they apear to have no technical knowledge. I would at least try this aproach as the documentation i was given did not specify where you had been a contractor, it appeared to be more concerned that you had run a business, hence the business course required to get the contractors lisence. Funny how you can run many other businesses without any lisence.

B
hence the business course required to get the contractors lisence. Funny how you can run many other businesses without any lisence

Yeh that annoys me. In Qld you need a technical person endorsee and a business person endorsee. Personally I don't see that it's the licensing office concern as to how much you know about running a business and rather discriminating that electrical contractors have to put up with it when many, many other business don't. After I renewed my contractors license last time I asked the licensing office who they had down as the business person endorsee and they couldn't tell me! Apparently it's such an important part of your license that they don't even bother recording it on their computer system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard