ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#144523 12/18/05 05:54 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
If you walked into a house tommorow and saw a serious electrical hazard,as in serious enough to kill someone, how far would you go to get the power disconnected?.
Also, what legislation could you site as your back-up?.
A house burned down here in Ashburton last weekend and the lady that lived in the house said she had been trying to get the landlord to get the house rewired.
"All of the plugs in the kitchen used to arc when you plugged something into them"
"you could smell burning when the kettle was plugged in"
The landlord was on the fire-ground, he was apologetic.
Your thoughts folks?.

#144524 12/18/05 09:18 AM
P
If we were talking about a privately owned home, I would just be trying to get the owner to realize that there is a problem and scare him into getting something done: "Look, this wiring is in such a poor state that's it's only a matter of time before it starts a fire" etc.

I'm not sure there's any specific legislation here which would apply in such a case anyway, not that I would want to go down that route if avoidable anyway.

For rented accommodation, the landlord has certain legal responsibilities to maintain things in a safe condition. I wrote a report for the tenants of a place last year in which the wiring was in a very poor state.

Unfortunately, the situation was complicated by the fact that with the landlord's permission the tenant had built a small extension on the rear and added his own wiring for it. It seemed to be largely the the modifications for that new extension which were responsible for the things which were wrong.

#144525 12/20/05 04:28 AM
M
Unfortunately it seems imposible to legislate against stupidity, or worse the blank denial of anything wrong even when pointed out.

#144526 12/20/05 05:04 AM
K
Trumpy, was the Landlord aware of the electrical problems ? If he was then I think you showed geat restraint in not punching him.

In situations like this the owner has to take responsibility. If the owner ignores documented advice from a qualified source then this would have implications on an insurance claim.

Our "Electricity Act" doesn't really provide for legally disconnecting unsafe installations.

I think that the insurance companies have more teeth than our regulatory bodies here.

#144527 12/20/05 08:00 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Kiwi,
Our "Electricity Act" doesn't really provide for legally disconnecting unsafe installations.
That is incorrect, we have Regulation 69 and 69A that enforce this rule.
There was a time when you had to notify the Secretary of Energy to effect a disconnection and a Faultsman would do it for you.
These days a simple call to the local Lines Company will have the same effect.
We don't want our Network here damaged by non-compliant wiring and on the same side of the coin, we don't want our customers hurt by this wiring either.
To quote the EWRB:
Every person in New Zealand has the right to a safe and working electricity supply
It's just a shame that some people that own houses that other people live in don't seem to see it the same way.
A local Inspector here yesterday had me disconnect a house, under Reg 69, land-lord was all up in arms.
I just said, if you'd kept up with the maintenance, I wouldn't be here.
was the Landlord aware of the electrical problems ? If he was then I think you showed geat restraint in not punching him.
He was aware, and he had a piece of paper to show it from the New Zealand Fire Service, that said that "this house is a danger to life and property".
Having said that, there are two sorts of people I hate at fire incidents, the first being kids that get in your way and like to "play" with the pump controls.
The second being news media folks that think they have a right to be there.
I saved two of the latter last year from a huge explosion while trying to fight a house fire, the cameraman complained that he got wet.
I got glass shards in my bunker coat and my back.
TVNZ is now banned from our fireground, TV3 knows to stand back and get an interview later.

#144528 12/20/05 06:20 PM
A
Since when has a landlord willingly maintained a property? I don't know about other parts of the world, but here it's relatively easy to play "spot the rental house".

#144529 12/21/05 04:18 AM
K
I've never realised that Reg 69 was practically enforceable, and I'm very happy to find out that it is.

Many sparkies think that unsafe installations can only be investigated or disconnected if there is an official complaint lodged by the sparky, and this will lead to a whole bunch of hassle that he just doesn't have time for.

If this is not the case then I think the EWRB needs to promote & publicise these facts. Maybe then the negligent landlords will get the message. Can't charge rent for a property that doesnt have electricity !

#144530 12/21/05 03:18 PM
T
Here: try to convince the owner or call the power company. The latter will pretty sure equal doing nothing, unless their equipment is directly affected. Which is usually not the case with residential wiring. I guess only electricity theft would get them to act quickly. As an electrician you have ho right at all to disconnect anything, even though some sparkies are trying to scare others into believing so. (Most of all people at some well-known German web board...)

Link Copied to Clipboard