ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#143661 08/28/05 09:09 PM
G
One freelance handyman told me of an old lady who had lampcord in some of her wiring. He said he could have reported her, but it looked like she was too old and poor to have it fixed and the result would have been to cut her electricity.

Sorry if I've overlooked anything, but can the local power companies cut the service for code violations?

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 08-28-2005).]

#143662 08/29/05 05:29 AM
B
GeneSF,
over the years i have only ever had the power compnay disconnect a supply not for code violations (as our IEE regs are just a recommendation as to install and are not law),
one property was a largish motor garage that i was called to, it was raining and the rain was pouring into the main panel board (300Amp three phase) and onto the service cutouts and merter area, now that was scary.
i called the local POCO and explained what was happening and they actually authorised me to disconnect the supply.

the owner was not very happy!!!

he had called me in because he heard a crackling sound coming from some very old half inch conduit in the corner of the spray booth!!!
when i investigated that, the conduit was rusted out and the cabling was son damaged that the condubtors were arcing between the tube and themselves,

after the supply was disconnected we got to re wire the whole place, it took four of us about three weeks to fully re wire the building (approx 16,000 sq feet.

the other one was another motor garage that only had a single phase supply but the `man` who owned it was a bit of a DIy fanatic who thought that you could run a 5 hourse power direct on line three phase compressor off of a single phase supply!!

we were called in by a shop next door because he could smell burning just outside of his door, in my years as an elelctrical engineer it never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are with electrical energy.

i just wish our country would adopt the IEE rules as law and convict those out there who mess with things that they dont understand.

Britspark

#143663 08/29/05 04:37 PM
A
Britspark, The IEE regs or to give it it proper title now BS7671 is now mandatory. Good old Part P has taken care of that one BS 7671 is a requirement of the Building regs on Domestic Work. Its covered by the Electricity at work act on comercial and industrial projects. Comply or be damed!
aland

#143664 08/30/05 08:44 PM
G
>in my years as an electrical engineer it never ceases to amaze me how stupid people are with electrical energy.

I guess "it's all about the money" and the illusion that skill in one trade automatically translates to another trade.

But good to know you can blow the whistle on hazardous installs. Might save a few lives.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-02-2005).]

#143665 08/31/05 11:01 AM
P
The IEE regs or to give it it proper title now BS7671 is now mandatory. Good old Part P has taken care of that one BS 7671 is a requirement of the Building regs on Domestic Work.

Alan,

Don't forget that we discussed this at length.

The Building Regs. do not refer to BS7671 at all, so there is no legal requirement to comply as far as residential wiring is concerned.
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2004/20043210.htm

#143666 08/31/05 11:52 AM
A
Paul, Thanks for reminding me.Yes you are absoulutely spot on and right in what you say; but dont you think that the doors are shut not bolted but shut quite tightly. Very nearly all building contracts no matter haow small have a one liner in them saying installation to be to BS 7671:2001. So reverse that into the fact that the building work has to comply with building regs, I think its pretty tight and I dont think I want to challeng it in the courts. After all BS 7671:2001 is only a MINIMUM standard is it not.
Aland

#143667 08/31/05 07:07 PM
D
djk Offline
The power company here doesn't really have any juristiction past their meter anymore. They could cut the power if they felt there was a clear and immediate danger to the property or if your installation was causing problems to the network.

They will refuse to energise or reenergise a supply where things are not up to code though. i.e. they normally require compliance certificates and will visually inspect the inside of the distribution panel (consumer unit), check the polarity of a few random circuits etc...

#143668 09/02/05 03:05 AM
My employer Safety and Health Manual says this about opening older type hinged switch-boards:

Section 3:Note 7:
Where it is required that Faults staff are required to open older (pre-1960's) switch-board panels and the like, that staff member shall wear not only the provided Live gloves and Outers, but also the provided Face shield.
All staff shall turn off the Board Isolator before opening the said panel.
No company employee shall open any covers of pre-1940's wiring without first removing the Service fusing and turning off the Mains Switch.
Failure to do this (where an accident occurs), will result in displinary action.
There it is in black and white. [Linked Image]

{Message edited to fix up UBB code}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 09-02-2005).]

#143669 09/02/05 06:53 AM
P
Yes you are absoulutely spot on and right in what you say; but dont you think that the doors are shut not bolted but shut quite tightly. Very nearly all building contracts no matter haow small have a one liner in them saying installation to be to BS 7671:2001.

Sure, BS7671 is going to be followed widely. As you say, almost all building contracts will contain a clause to that effect, just as they have done since before the IEE Regs. became BS7671.

The non-BS7671 question is probably only going to arise in cases such as a private home build project where the owner is carrying out much of the work himself.

#143670 09/02/05 06:57 AM
P
Where it is required that Faults staff are required to open older (pre-1960's) switch-board panels and the like, that staff member shall wear not only the provided Live gloves and Outers, but also the provided Face shield.
All staff shall turn off the Board Isolator before opening the said panel.

I must be missing something here. Why do you need live-gloves, shields etc. to open a panel which has already been isolated from its source of power? [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard