ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Going back to the original post (twisting a parallel pin plug to fit an Aussie powerpoint), I offer this:

[Linked Image from cpc.farnell.com]

Yup. The pins are on movable "bases" so you can set them for American type or Aussie type sockets (both are commonly used in People's Republic of China).

D
djk Offline
I can't understand why china uses both Aussi and US-style plugs simultaniously

Surely at this stage they should drop the US-style connector and move to 2 pin crowfoot for class II appliances.

Adaptors for older chinese sockets could be made available pretty easily.

It's very odd to have 220V presented to you via a NEMA 110V outlet.

T
Well, same with Thailand and the Philippines. I have some Thai equipment (namely Super Nintendo and Sony ghetto blaster)... the appliances are rated 220V 50 Hz, but all the NEMA plugs carry a 125V rating.

D
djk Offline
Weird.

Wonder if there's anywhere using Schuko on a 120V supply?

P
Welcome aboard briselec!

[Linked Image]

BTW, how do you quote a previous post?

Just cut-&-paste, then use QUOTE and /QUOTE tags (each enclosed by square brackets).

There's a summary of UBB Codes which can be used in the forum here:

What is UBB Code?

S
I can't understand why china uses both Aussi and US-style plugs simultaniously

Surely at this stage they should drop the US-style connector and move to 2 pin crowfoot for class II appliances.

My guess is that since China makes the majority of items exported to countries that use US type plugs, and they already have the technology to manufacture these things....why not?

The outlets there are usually combination. If you have a double-socket, you will get the top part as a round pin & parallel-pin combination socket. The bottom one will be the Aussie style connector with three pins.

[Linked Image from kropla.com]

from http://www.kropla.com/china_power.htm

I assume these sockets fit British size boxes and the plate around the socket just snaps on after you fit the thing into the box?

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-30-2005).]

Sven,
I saw one of them "movable" pin plugs on a Night-Light here recently and believe me mate, it not only looked flimsy, but the fact that the pins seemed to be really loose, didn't instill a lot of confidence as to it's safety.
Regarding your picture of the upside-down AS/NZ socket, are you sure it's not an Argentinian version?.
They have the earth pin at the top in their configuration.
(And no, we don't want to get into the ground up/down debate here either [Linked Image])

Briselec,
Welcome to the group mate!. [Linked Image]

S
Mike, that's a socket from the PRC ("Red China"). [Linked Image]

I got it off a traveler's assistance website:
http://www.kropla.com/china_power.htm

Sven,
It could be two things.
An upside down AS/NZ socket.
Or the Argentinian socket, the phasing being clock-wise from the left, Phase, Earth, Neutral.

A
For a while, Clipsal during the late 40's-50's were into the upside down configuration. This was when we had adopted flush fittings based on the US style separate fitting and wallplate idea. After a few years the wall plate and fitting became the one item. (The wallbox sizing is the same as the US incidentally). Timber block surface mount fittings were on their way out.
I believe this doesn't comply with present regulations where the earth must be at the bottom. Nevertheless this is sometimes overlooked for the sake of being practical; eg. some GPO's are mounted is stupid places (eg; floor level ducting) and if you want to insert a plugpack transformer into them the only way is to have the GPO installed upside down...however the switch action is then confusing.
Who remembers the HPM GPO's from the late 60's that had the pin configuration rotated 90 degrees? Their idea was they could be used vertically or horizontally.
Speaking of switches, that Chinese GPO would never be approved here having no switch.
I've also seen one of those plugs with twistable pins on a travel adaptor. You wouldn't want to draw much current through it with only those flimsy rivets holding it together. And as the pins get twisted back and forth you can imagine the whole thing loosening up.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard