ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 254 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Trumpy Offline OP
Just reading through the latest Electrolink.
According to it, there is a Bill before Parliament to dissolve all Electrical Registration in this country.
What is even more scary, is the fact of what is coming.
The current EWRB (Electrical Workers Registration Board), the people that we supported through our COC's will now become the EWLB (Electrical Workers Licensing Board)
The powers of this new bunch of BS have to be read to be believed:
They can:
  • Keep, cancel or change any class of licence that they see fit, within the scope of thier "work".
  • Prescribe any new and old minimum standards of competence, required to get a Practicing Licence
  • If the Board thinks fit that you should not have a Practicing Licence, you shall not have one, for whatever reason, the Board shall not disclose the reason.
    This worries me!!
  • Should you be the subject of a complaint, no matter who from, you could be prevented from obtaining a Practicing Licence for life.

How on earth did we get this bad?.
It seems like us sparkies in NZ aren't good enough to grace the Government with our Tax money, God knows we pay enough of it!!. [Linked Image]
But no, we get greater powers for those above us (read: a bigger stick to beat us with!)
For instance:
Following a disiplinary hearing, the new legislation will empower the board to:
  • Cancel your Licence,
  • Suspend your Licence as long as it wants
  • Restrict your licence by limiting the work you can do.
  • Permanently or temporarily deny you your liveli-hood by disqualifying you from doing, or assisting in doing prescribed Electrical work.
  • Fine you up to $10,000, for each "offence".
  • Require you to sit any examination at your cost, or complete any Competence Programme as the new regime see's fit.

Guys, I welcome your thoughts on this.
This is about to become Law.

P
I'm a little confused.

there is a Bill before Parliament to dissolve all Electrical Registration in this country.

If the proposal is to remove all requirements for registration, then how is this new EWLB going to have any powers to do anything?

[Linked Image]

Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
If the proposal is to remove all requirements for registration, then how is this new EWLB going to have any powers to do anything?
I'm not sure if I know what you mean either?.
Look as far as I'm concerned and this is my view only, Government should keep it's nose right the way out of training our young people and also that of Trades and Services in this country.
We would be a LOT better off if the people that studied 19th Century Economics or Art History or even Hemp production, would stop trying to tell us Electricians how things are.
As far as training our young people is going, it's easier to get onto a "Hip-Hop" course than what it is to get an Electrical Apprentice trained here.
If this is the way it's going, I'd go for the "Hip-Hop" course'. [Linked Image]

K
Trumpy. I haven't received this months Electrolink magazine yet. ( I'm gonna walk down to the mail-box right now though )

The EWRBs proposals will always be about making it cheaper for the government to police the Electricity Act.

Farming risk management out to the electrical industry and then collecting fines for perceived violations is excellent revenue gathering practice.

The EWRB in NZ is relinquishing its duty of policing the Electricity Act and focusing on revenue gathering.

This must be stopped right now ! !

R
So in essence if someone on the board does not like you they can can you and not have to explain it.

There has got to be a law against that!

And if someone complains (justified or not) they can punish you.

Looks like time to grab your lawyers and fight tooth and nail.

Things like that get me mad enough to choke people with my hands and my feet, and I'm not even from New Zealand.

Robert

Trumpy Offline OP
Personally I have one problem with this change.
If you as an Electrical worker, happen to get on the wrong side of a client, the media have it these days, that you can place a complaint against that worker.
It might not be for poor workmanship or anything else, but they can complain.
There have been cases of Electricians here being unfairly targetted by the kangaroo court of the EWRB, where the Electrician is subject to intense scrutiny, not by his peers, but by a team of Lawyers for the EWRB.
The thing that I disagree with is an unfairly balanced "trial".
With respect to complaints, I have to disconnect people from our Network, for non-payment of bills, I'm just doing my job but the EWRB has sent me the odd letter telling me not to be so nasty.
Thing is though, you never hear who complained against you or what the complaint was about.
I have to side with Kiwi here.
It's hard to work against the "Invisible Man"

P
I guess the U.K. is not the only place which is abandoning the concept of "Innnocent until proven guilty" then. [Linked Image]

K
Trumpy, if the EWRB has sent you leters regarding domestic disconnections you have carried out at the instruction of your employer, then that could be construed as harrassment.

Litigate for a lump sum right now !

Trumpy Offline OP
Look guys,
My one problem with this, is the loss of Registration as a Qualification.
If you got Registration in NZ as an Electrician, you could take that anywhere else in the world and have it recognised, not so much because it was for life, but because you'd done your time in the eyes of the NZ system.
Now it will have to be renewed every 2 or so years, which means you have to pay a fee, of the magnitude we aren't sure of yet.
Just another tax. [Linked Image]

AKA: All aboard The Gravy Train! All those fees will go on trips abroad, deep pile carpets in luxurious offices, expenses, vast empires of staff with little to do all day etc. etc.. You can bet your bottom dollar little will see its way back to the electricians. These are the same sort of people who will lay off essential workers like ambulance drivers, nurses or firemen when the books won't balance. They do sack people gently though, calling it 'Rightsizing' or a 'Redundancy Situation'.

"Knock! Knock!"
"Who's there?"
"Sorry,not you, apparently"

Alan

Wood work but can't!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard