ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#142445 01/12/05 08:25 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This is a bit of an off-shoot from the Part P discussions, but I'd like to relate a few things about our own Self-certification scheme here in New Zealand.
Firstly, let it be known that Self Cert. is in no way a panacea for all that is wrong in the Industry, in fact to a certain extent, it's made things worse.
As in, prior to 1992, we had a good Inspection system here, provided by the Power Board Inspectors, they were friendly and they knew your work standards, testing still happened though.
Now, only where a new switchboard goes in or a change to the Mains or Earthing occurs, does an Inspection happen.
This is where I think that the system falls down.
Nowadays, an Electrician, can do any sort of work in any Installation, without fear of being caught out for unsafe practices, unless of course it causes a fire or shock.
Although Self Cert gives you a lot of freedom, this is being taken too far here.
Self Cert also applies to other Electrical workers here as well as Electricians, like Appliance Technicians and Line Mechanics, but generally, the standard of testing and filling out of Certificates of Compliance has been 100%, with these folk.
(After all you can't erect a set of power lines without someone noticing).
One thing I have noticed since 1992, is the fact that cables no longer get clipped in roof spaces any more.
Only 75% of us Electricians here use COC's and only 90% have Practicising Licences. [Linked Image]

#142446 01/12/05 11:20 AM
P
Interesting points on the way your system has developed.

The new approved schemes here will no doubt fall into the same sort of category. Anybody already registsred with, say, NICEIC who wants to cut corners will still do so (and let's be honest, it's only a small percentage, but we've all seen work done by NIC guys that wasn't quite right, haven't we?). The part P requirements have just added another layer of paperwork to the existing self-certification system.

One thing I have noticed since 1992, is the fact that cables no longer get clipped in roof spaces any more.
I've quickly come to conclusion that whoever did most of wiring around here in the 1970s/1980s had never heard of cable clips! [Linked Image]

#142447 01/15/05 08:47 AM
L
Trumpy, I like the idea of a Licence to practice. At least that way a client or employer can be relatively confident about the competence of the electrician he is engaging. As Paul has indicated, the Part P system is cumbersome. This morning, I reviewed the requirements of the NICEIC with respect to their own scheme as it applies to Part P and I find it difficult to accept that the whole thing wont come tumbling down because of the sheer volume of paper shuffling!

regards

lyle dunn
#142448 01/17/05 06:59 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys thanks for your comments.
And I would also have to say that any increase in paperwork, is going to turn people away from any new system for a start, regardless of any extra costs added into the fray.
The COC system here more or less pays for itself because the cost of the certificate is passed onto the customer and the certificates cost next to nothing to purchase from the EWRB for a start.
I've filled a whole book of 20 certificates out in an hour as they are by no means time-consuming to do, it's just a matter of finding the time.
Lyle,
I like the idea of a Licence to practice. At least that way a client or employer can be relatively confident about the competence of the electrician he is engaging
The actual practicing licence itself is a plastic card, not unlike a Credit card and it fits in your wallet, so you usually have it with you 90% of the time.
I would put a picture of it on here, but I don't want the thing being forged!. [Linked Image]

#142449 01/18/05 04:28 PM
P
Careful Mike, you're starting to sound like a government department! Reminds me of the INS paperwork -- We'd show you a picture of an I-551 but....... [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard