ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 272 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#142249 12/21/04 05:20 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
O.K., I've found a way to be able to do any work in your home without having to comply with part P and without having to notify the local council.

The addition to the Building Regulations adding part P specifies that it applies to all low- and extra-low-voltage electrical systems.

So........

Just install a big transformer at the service entrance, then run everything around the house at, say, 625 volts to outlets.

Problem solved! [Linked Image]

#142250 12/21/04 08:29 PM
S
Like your thinking Paul [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#142251 12/22/04 03:12 AM
C
C-H Offline
How is the limit defined? I think the LVD applies to everything below 1000VAC / 1500VDC. (So far, the ELV area (below 50V?) is also unregulated)

#142252 12/22/04 09:26 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
The LV limit for AC is now defined as 1000V between conductors, or 600V between any conductor and earth, hence my choice of 625 volts! (DC limits are 1500 and 900V.)

ELV is covered by the new part P as well. The AC limit is defined as not exceeding 50V, either between conductors or to earth.

In the actual Statutory Instrument, the DC definition of ELV is rather incomplete to my way of thinking. It just says not exceeding 120V between conductors, no mention of p.d. relative to earth.

#142253 12/23/04 09:25 AM
Look,
At the end of the day, you fella's are just going to have to swallow Part P and live with it.
As in that I'm saying we didn't like the changes we had here either, but we've learned to live with them!.
It didn't sell us down the creek, we can still make a living and a darned good one at that.
Having said that, the local Council has never had a say in any Electrical Installations here, apart from Fire Alarms.
And personally I'd say they should keep to thier mandate of rubbish collections and Storm-water disposal, that's what I pay my Rates for!. [Linked Image]

#142254 12/23/04 03:06 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
At the end of the day, you fella's are just going to have to swallow Part P and live with it.
I understand what you're trying to say Mike, but the whole thing has just been a complete shambles from the beginning (like everything else this present administration has interfered with).

I've been reading through comments on the IEE Forum and from various other boards, and it seems that everybody who has asked their local council about the implementation of part P has been told, in effect, "We have no idea." Remember that this is due to become law in little over a week's time.

As you know, I'm not doing wiring work every day of the week. I certainly cannot justify the fees for joining one of the recognized schemes for self-certification. So compliance with the new law is down to notification of works to the local council. As you saw from the response I received from them a few weeks ago, they have nothing in place yet to deal with it.

Those officials who have suggested any sort of system for test and inspection in their area seem to be saying that it will be under their present scale of building inspection charges, at least to begin. I've seen charges quoted ranging from £60 up to £200 to £500 for larger projects.

I do a lot of small jobs in this area for low-income families, pensioners struggling on their meager payments, etc.

So next time I do a quick job of installing an extra socket in a kitchen for, say, an old lady in the village, am I supposed to tell her that it will be £30 for me but she'll have to hand over an extra £60 for the council inspector? [Linked Image]

#142255 12/25/04 08:42 AM
L
We dont have Part P here. According to Belfast City Council it will be on the long finger. So we have the luxury of hindsight should it become law in Northern Ireland.
Paul, I appreciate your altruistic considerations but the cost will have to be paid by the customer. At least to some extent it will be a level pitch (for those who choose to operate within the law!).

regards

lyle dunn
#142256 12/28/04 12:42 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
it will be on the long finger.
Is that an Irish expression? [Linked Image]

I guess it means N.I. is only thinking about the possibility of introducing similar rules at some unspecified point in the future ?

As for the cost having to be paid by the customer, I have to ask whether that will happen. If we try to stay within the law but the cost is going to be grossly inflated because of that, then people who might otherwise have paid to have the job done will make other arrangements, e.g.

1. Not bother at all, and just fit 4-way extension sockets to walls and drape cords everywhere.

2. Have a go themselves, even if they're not sure what they're doing (maybe not the little old lady, but some will).

3. Ask Uncle ****** or Nephew ****** to do it, because he "knows a bit about wiring."

Remind me again, part P is supposed to be about improving safety of electrical systems, right?

#142257 12/28/04 03:12 PM
L
Paul, dont know the source of "on the long finger" but you guessed correct.
I respect your views with regards to Part P. You have highlighted some of the major disadvantages. However, taken in a general sense, I think when the dust settles, Part P will be a definite improvement.

regards

lyle dunn
#142258 12/28/04 09:50 PM
U
However, taken in a general sense, I think when the dust settles, Part P will be a definite improvement.

Possibly a slight improvement...

The only real difference that will be seen at the outset will be any building work subject to B-regs ( and thus inspection ), and possibly the sale of property.

It will not stop the "be-spurred" members of the public doing work for others, or those doing it for themselves either. How can it, unless there is some other reason for notification?

I'm with Paul on this; it will lead to an increase in Heath-Robinson circumvention without changing a damn thing. Maybe eventually we might see changes - but not for years, and certainly not whilst the likes of "Bodge-&-Quack" are selling everything neede for a complete rewire to anyone who shows them the money... [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard