ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14196 09/16/02 04:41 PM
N
nanci Offline OP
HI,

George and everyone, my electrician did what you said. We took his meter and touched the handle to the drain. There is a 2 volt reading coming from the drain. We shut off the power to the house and got no reading. When turning off each breaker 1 at a time it stays the same, one even went up a little. I think that he is now trying to find something that itn't grounded. What would you do next?

T
Your electrican needs to check from the handle to neutral to see if there is a poor watermain ground. I can't see what checking from the handle to the drain is intended to produce. The plumbing should be mechanically connected by solder joints. You are essentially checking the same point. If you have a poor neutral connection, the neutral and the ground in the house will be a different potentials, which means there will be a voltage between them. Check the connection in the meter pan, panel and at the top of the house if it is an overhead drop. If the connections look clean call the utility company. Once you tell them you are getting shocked they will run to help. They fear liability.

Hope this helps
Tom

Link Copied to Clipboard