ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
(PUK I believe you stated you fall into this category?).

Correct John. I am not carrying out wiring work 5 or 6 days a week; it is just a part of my work. In fact in recent months I've been cutting back on it as I've been busy with other aspects of work (electronics, software, etc.). To be honest, I'm not sorry -- It's nice to have reduced the amount of attic crawling I have to do! [Linked Image]

Looking at the costs that have been quoted for joining one of the approved schemes, it is simply not an option for me, nor I suspect for many other people in a similar position. There is no way I could justify the expense for the expected returns.

It's for similar reasons that I have never joined the NICEIC. 99% of the people I do wiring work for have never even heard of them anyway, so why bother? If I was doing electrical work as my primary occupation and wanted to branch out from mostly residential to commercial or wiring new housing estates, it would be another matter.

So to be "legal" the notification/inspection system is the only viable alternative. What is so typical of this government is the way that with only a month left to go, nobody has the slightest idea how the system will be implemented in many areas or what the costs will be.

There was actually a news item on the radio a couple of days ago announcing the changes and pointing out that much DIY electrical work would be subject to building controls from January. A couple of people have asked me about this, as they'd also just seen similar reports in the newspaper and wanted to know the details. This is the first that most members of the general public have heard about the changes.

The genereal attitude around here is "To h*** with them." Nobody I've spoken to who already does DIY work on their own house has any intention whatsoever of notifying the council about it from next month.

U
The genereal attitude around here is "To h*** with them." Nobody I've spoken to who already does DIY work on their own house has any intention whatsoever of notifying the council about it from next month.

Indeed, and a surprising number of people have told me they will engage who they wish to do their work - "competent"* or not.

* In the qualifying sense of course! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
P
Guys,

Have a look through this topic regarding Part P on the IEE's forum. It's a long thread, but well worth the read:
http://www.iee.org/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=205&threadid=3642&STARTPAGE=1

I notice that the phrases "ill-conceived" and "money-making scam" appear fairly regularly. [Linked Image]

P
*** Update ***

I sent another e-mail over the holidays asking if anything had yet been decided. Here's the reply, received today:

Within the County we have been working towards the adoption of a policy to acheive a consistent approach to this completely new area of work. We have come up with a draft policy which is currently being circulated for consideration. We have also produced a guidance leaflet which is being printed and which I will send you a copy if you let me have an address to which it can be forwarded.

With regards to fees, our current minmum charge is £60 + vat. It is intended that this will be adopted for applications for electrical work up to a value of £20000.

So they've decided upon the fees. At least they've given a flat fee for all electrical work likely to be carried out on domestic premises and are not going to try to profiteer by bumping it up on larger works.

I'm still concerned at the level of the fee though. £60 plus VAT comes to over £70 in total. Nobody around here is going to pay that for minor wiring work.

A
Paul, please correct me if I am wrong but if you are registered and able to self certify, then you do not have to pay the £60 so is that not giving you a competative edge as well as being within the Law? The fee for registering the contract on the data base is not going to be £60 surely.
The N.I.C.E.I.C are handling this part of the system via an e-mail link dont know what they are charging, will see if I can find out!

U
Well, I spoke to a 59 year old electrician yesterday. He has come up through the trade since 14 - and has trained more than enough apprentices. He works like a trojan, and his knowledge of electrical subjects is encyclopaedic. I have seen his work - the ort most of us aspire to!

He was in the trade-counter when I called in. I jovially asked him what he was in buying this time, to be met with a steady gaze over his coffee "Nowt - just a crack and a brew"

He completed his last job on the 31st, and has hung up his toolbag for good. His reasons? Not prepared to fork out £X00 to some money-making shark to tell him he's good enough to do the work when he's done it for 45 years with not one single problem, and to have to continue forking out until he retires.

Don't blame him. It's a screaming shame - but a ******* insult as well. [Linked Image]

A
Uk, I can have some sympathy with the guy, I am 62 and have seen many changes in this trade not all for the good either, but I refuse to hang my tools up. We have to move with the times like it or not. Todays world is the world of traceability and being able to prove and verify what you say you did you did if you know what I mean. We have to fill in lots of pieces of paper and pay fees so be it. Jo public wants the job doing right I am afraid he has to pay. We do have to learn you can NOT have the cake and eat it!

P
if you are registered and able to self certify, then you do not have to pay the £60 so is that not giving you a competative edge as well as being within the Law?
Good point Alan. Frankly, it strikes me that the aim (ill-conceived and unenforcable as it will be) is to deter anyone but those registered under one of the approved schemes from carrying out wiring.

Not prepared to fork out £X00 to some money-making shark to tell him he's good enough to do the work when he's done it for 45 years with not one single problem,
I think this will happen quite a lot. O.K., I admit that it's human nature to feel peeved when somebody suddenly tries to restrict something you've been doing for years, but in this case I agree with him.

I'm also concerned at who will be carrying out inspections in some areas. Those with years of electrical knowledge and experience are not going to take kindly to some building inspector who knows little about wiring criticizing their work (no offense meant to inspectors who are no doubt fine in their own areas of expertise).

U
Aland, I hear what you say. This chap has moved with the times and seen all the same changes as you, I figure this is "the straw and the camel's back" for him.

He has never made a fortune, just sufficient to live life and put his kids thru college. He never had flashy cars or vans that I saw. He was just an honest-to-goodness tradesman - not a "cake and eat it" type at all.

A
I hear what you say UK and I didnot mean my comment directly at your friend, I am much the same myself. But you must have been in the wholsalers and stood at the counter and listened to some of the chancers being served and the comments made. PUKE.PUKE. I am the first to admit their are some great young craftsmen out their, for my sins I had a spell at assessing at the local college so I do know what is gouing on. But we do have to have change. Good luck to your friend I hope he continues to have some involvement in the trade we do need him.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard