ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
pauluk Offline OP
THis was on the local TV news last night:
An elderly couple who lived without electricity in their house for 37 years were finally connected on Friday.
Margaret Payne, 72, and husband Pat, 74, have lived at Folly Farm near Bury St Edmunds without a mains supply all their married life.

But their daughter and son-in-law offered to pay the £19,000 needed to install electricity.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/suffolk/3623770.stm

I can't imagine living without electricity, but then I doubt any of us at ECN could! [Linked Image]

I wonder about the £19,000 bill though. Suffolk is a mostly rural county, but this is the southern half of England where nowhere is very far from civilization. It must be very isolated.

B

It’s probably impossible to know the length of the line extension. Years ago, power sales would partially subsidize new construction, and having more appliances would qualify for a longer line extension without additional charges. Deregulation and utility competition have spoiled that idea.

One plus may be that if others want new service along the line, the original customer would be reimbursed a portion of their original £19,000 investment.

C
C-H Offline
A 11 kV line can cost $10' per kilometer to build. Therefore, you don't have to live very far from civilization for the cost to be $19'. Most people wouldn't realise this for the reasons given by Scott. A few pence per kWh turns into a lot of money in ten years.

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 09-03-2004).]

T
twh Offline
I'm upset if the power blinks out for a second while I'm on the computer. If you want to see angry, though, I did a month for a cable TV company. You should see how upsetting it is for some people to be without TV for an hour. I had to leave that job. I couldn't take the pressure.

HV Reticulation is never a cheap to do at the best of times.
I would have hated to see the looks on the faces of customers I've assisted to install Spur lines for, when they open the Invoice envelope.
It would be the exact opposite to winning the lottery!.
And at the end of the day, the PoCo still owns and mantains your lines, that you have just paid for!?!.
Truly weird!. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard