ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
2 members (Scott35, ampherder), 273 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
It looks to me like the Ideal Tan Twister wire nut by hand provided the best connection. If I'm only putting 2 or 3 14's or 12's together, I use the tans by hand, but if I have more than 3 wires I use my Kliens to make a good twist. Also if I'm making up lots of boxes or cans, I use the tans with a drill driver for speed. I've checked the connections and they are as good as it gets.

E
Pre-twisting is not required if the wirenut is installed properly. The wires will be twisted as the connector is applied.

In fact, the wires will conform to the tapered shape of the internal thread in the wirenut better if they are not pre-twisted, and as a result, more threads will be engaged.

Ed

Ooops, you're right... A Twister not a Wingnut...

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
C
Thanks for the enlightenment.
The pictures really drove home your point.
I have always used my Ideal's to twist the wire and after getting the wirenut tight, I would put a couple of wraps of tape to bond the nut to the insulation. Thanks for taking the time to post these pictures!

Thanks, currently...

Sometimes I do "go beyond the call of duty" (or as some may say "gone too far"...)

electric-ed, in an old thread lost in cyberspace, I tried in vain using about a million words to say just what you did.

Thanks!

(No offense, Scott35!)

[Linked Image]

As may be obvious from the neatness of the job, the 2nd pair of pix is what I do the most often. I was actually surprised that the Twister performed this well, as I've had trouble with them in the past holding as well as the standard yellows.

I finally musta done it right!

My partner Joe drove the spring right out the small end of a Twister the other day using some serious torque. I've had copper protrude from the yelllows when all the conductors don't line up straight.

I guess it all comes down to the quality of the technique rather than the technique itself...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 09-24-2002).]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard