ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Thanks Guys

I agree the more the merrier.. the reason i asked the question i am buying a new build house, and in the master bedroom there is only 2 twin sockets, they want £65.00 for each extra socket, which i loave to pay, but its something i have to have done because it is extremely difficult to put extra ones in a new house..chipboard floors etc..

U
Things have sure come a long way from the days of one 15A outlet next to the fireplace and a 5A one for the radio on the opposite wall!
A veritable abundance!! [Linked Image] I started at a cottage in the Lakes today:
One pendant lamp in the centre if each room ( two living, two bed, kitchen, bathroom ), none on the stairs or 'landing'! Sockets? LOL! ONE in the kitchen; a cooker/socket combo added in 1996 along with a circuit for the immersion heater...never used.
Talk about a blast form the past [Linked Image] The cottage was occupied until last November by one ol' lady who lived alone wth no family at all [Linked Image] She didn't even have a phone. The cooker point and immersion heater were added at the insistence of her GP - who paid for them as well.
What a life eh? Unbelievable. Still the cottage is completely 'untouched' apart from that and has some beautiful features.

Distribution board is pretty big with 3 rows of MCBs/RCDs
I'm not surprised!! [Linked Image]
What's with all the radials???

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
P
That cottage is probably fairly well equipped by comparison to some!

I remember seeing a story a couple of years ago about some remote old cottages up north (Yorkshire moors?) which still had no electricity whatsoever.

What's with all the radials???
ALthough Ireland uses rings, they don't seem to have gone for them in quite such a big way as the U.K.

U
Yes, we have one or two cottages in this locality that aren's connected to the mains, though they do have gennys or even windmills now! I wired one out in 2002 which had nothing except a solid-fuel Aga, fires and oil lamps [Linked Image] It was, as I recall from ten or so years ago, the most beautiful place to spend new years eve [Linked Image] Very atmospheric.

Sadly, all such places are now holiday cott's [Linked Image]

Ireland eh? Sorry - didn't realise that was the locality!! [Linked Image]

D
djk Offline
We do use rings but for some reason a lot of electricans seem to prefer radials.

There are two basic reasons. We traditionally used 220V/50Hz, diazed fuses and schuko outlets. It wasn't unusual to see a 3 or 4 row diazed fusebox in a normal house.

We switched over to BS1363 and I think many electricans just continued to wire radially. I suspect some of them just didn't trust the system at all. Many of these guys continued to use neozed fuses well into the 1980s as they didn't consider MCBs reliable enough!!!

People generally like the idea of one fuse per room / one fuse per group of rooms rather than just a couple or rings. At least you can isolate and identify a faulty applience easily.

Also, the typical modern Irish home doesn't exactly lend itself to the use of rings. We've adopted the sprawling bungalow approach to house building so using rings would be far from practical.

I've heard a lot of horror stories about British DIY books used in Ireland though. DIYers confronted with a 16 or 20A radial presuming that it's a ring and whacking on endless extra sockets and then wondering why the fuses keep blowing or worse, trying to "mend" a diazed fuse!!!!

P
I've heard a lot of horror stories about British DIY books used in Ireland though.

I remember finding an American DIY wiring book on a library shelf in Ireland (I think it was Carrick-on-Shannon).

I bet that caused a lot of head-scratching.......

T
Lemme see...
Kitchen: Single next to the door, double above the sink, triple above the counter left of the window and double on right side of the window for the refrigerator. Double on own 16A circuit behind the dishwasher, only one used.

Hallway: 8m long and 2m wide corridor, one single at each end.

Living room: Single next to where the door used to be, single at location of new door, three singles spread over the wall acrosss the room from the door. Ungrounded single where the old light switch used to be.

Kids bedroom: Single at each of the 2 doors, ungrounded single on each side of the window, one disconnected because it's blocked up by the radiator, the other one equipped with a 3-way adaptor.

Main bedroom: Single next to the door, double on one side of the bed, a triple and a single next to the window.

Bathroom: Surface-mount double on the left of the mirror above the sink, as far away from the tub as possible (not too easy in a 2x2m bathroom). Single on separate 16A circuit for washing machine.

Small bedroom (according to the original plans servant's bedroom, for some time my bedroom, size about 2x3,5m): None at all. I added a few surface-mount triples and a single next to the door. My dad used it for quite some time with all wiring being a rotary switch and a stone-aged pendant light.

Circuits: 4x 16A, 2 for washing machine and dishwasher, 1 for kitchen, small bedroom and toilet, one for everything else. When we renovated last year I added 2 circuits by installing a 4-fuse surface-mount Diazed panel that looks real cool and ancient. We also replaced the 100mA main RCD with a 30mA type. Despite all rewqiring attempts the place (100m2 apartment) is still a mix of 1910s, 1950ies(?), 1970ies, and new wiring. Bathroom light switch and fixture as well as 2 other light fixtures are still on 1910s cloth wiring, some more stuff is on later PVC covered wiring, most of the other stuff is 1977 (ma dad rewired most of the stuff when he moved in, also replacing the 2-circuit Diazed panel with a 4-circuit MCB panel w/ RCD), along with some new wiring I did.

U
When I go to a job I ask how many sockets and where they are to go. 9/10 haven't a clue! [Linked Image] And for those that 'specify' I usually overrule half of them as being unsafe/OTT/hellish to fit! [Linked Image]

In most houses, unless told otherwise, I put: (All doubles; 1 = 2 outlets )

Hall - 1 + 1 by a phone table
Lounge - 2 @ TV location and 1 or 2 on each wall
Dining 3 to 4
Kitchen - F/spurs to all fixed appliances ( above counter ) with single u/s sockets behind appliance. Then 3 to 'loads' depending on size of room [Linked Image]
Utility - same as kitchen but not so many extras
Bedrooms - 1 per person next to bed/s and 1 or 2 on other walls depending on size
Landing - usually 1 hoover point
I also try to fit RCD protected weatherproofs outside to prevent unprotected extensions being used to power stuf in the garden. Garages are always wired with RCD protection - and preferably outdoor accessories depending on their location.

I always fit more sockets than immediately needed; for the small cost it could save a lot of heartache in the future [Linked Image]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard