ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 390 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#141264 07/08/04 07:34 PM
U
How many of you folks are into PAT? ( no rude replies ta [Linked Image] )

I'm just curious to know how many of you have got involved in it - and whether you find it 'worthwhile' or a pain in the zoological regions...

Yes - I do it. Great for a rainy day, but a bit wearisome sometimes - especially when the client can't find half the tackle, or half the rooms are locked! [Linked Image]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141265 07/09/04 02:45 AM
A
Agree on all counts, I only do it for what I call core clients who we have educated, even then it can be more trouble than its worth. The amount of admin required is quite considerable to do it correctly I find. Whose test equipment do you use? I use Metrol complete with download software, have to say that its never let me down but I am not a fan of downloading from a meter are you? I always wonder if a days work is going to go down the tube!

#141266 07/09/04 04:08 AM
uksparky,
Welcome to ECN!. [Linked Image]
PAT (Portable Appliance Testing) is pretty big here in New Zealand.
OSH requires that all Portable Appliances have a Tag on them that certifies thier Electrical Safety, in Commercial Installations.
Tests are done at either 6 or 12 month intervals, depending upon what the equipment is.
Industrial gear is tested every 3 months, especially where it uses Monitored Earth protection. [Linked Image]

#141267 07/09/04 08:35 AM
P
I'm not really involved with commercial work, and seeing the horror-stories associated with HSE's red-tape these days, perhaps that's a good thing!

That being the case, I've not gotten involved with this. In a domestic situation I'll still just test appliances in the time-honored fashion with a megger.

Oops, forgot to add for non-UK members:
HSE = Health & Safety Executive.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-09-2004).]

#141268 07/10/04 06:11 AM
U
Hi Aland [Linked Image] I use a Robin SmartPAT 5000. I like it; it's easy and quick on the auto sequence, and flexible. It also has the d/l facility and I have the software which works well - but like you I'm not that keen on using it. To be honest I do manual records for any but the larger clients! Before the Robin I just hand metered everything and did a thorough visual/op-check.

Why thank you Trumpy [Linked Image] Glad to see you have good regulation over there! Much of the PAT-related regs over here are not yet "mandatory" - but should be!!

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!
#141269 07/11/04 10:11 AM
B
In their “fine print,” US OSHA mandates daily inspection of power tools and extension cords, but not so much recordkeeping. [That, and relies on GFCIs a lot.]

If I follow PAT basics correctly, there are two prime tests needed to provide a reasonable degree of safety to the tool/appliance user. First, equipment-ground integrity {very low resistance} from a pin on the cord cap to the shell {exposed-conductive parts} of the AC device. Second, there should normally be high resistance between grounded components and normally energized parts of the equipment—that is, very high insulation integrity.

There’s probably not much argument of its effectiveness for roughly handled AC-powered drill motors and cord-connected medical devices, but should it also be routinely applied to seven-foot-high vending machines?

Here is one tester sold in the US, but I don’t think they are selling truckloads of these on this continent. http://www.megger.com/us/products/P...ly=JA#ViewTOOL_APPL_TESTER_DS_en_V10.pdf

Link Copied to Clipboard