ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#140566 05/17/04 08:40 AM
F
I have some figures now from a scanned HSE report, I'll shrink and crop the images to just the necessary information and post them here for all to see.

I have been intrigued by this so looked into it a bit further today, the greater French death rate is purely Construction site deaths apparently. They still insist on using 230V power tools onsite rather than the UK 110V Centre Tap system (55V+55V).

The Man I spoke to today at the HSE said the French have a better domestic death rate than the UK, but this is down to the lower incidence of DIY in France than the UK.

One area the UK leads Europe is in Power Transmission Deaths. These are Deaths of people comming into contact with Overhead lines, Grid transmission equipment and Railways, apparently these figures are seperate from all other figures right across Europe.

The HSE Guy said that despite efforts by the Railways and the National Grid et al to keep people from trespassing in dangerous areas, it would appear to be an almost uniquely British problem in Europe.

I think this prove the Darwin Theory aptly...A fool who trespasses is soon electrocuted!! [Linked Image]

#140567 05/17/04 02:59 PM
T
A fool who trespasses is soon electrocuted!!

Yeah, like a classmate's brother. At the age of 14 he was bright enough to go to a party and drink himself silly. Later in the evening he and some friends decided to play around with soft guns. Somehow they ended up near a freight railway station and Mr. Super-bright thought he'd climb a railway car to get better aim. Then he came a bit close to the 15kV catenary, it was a damp night... well, it was a very nice funeral!

#140568 05/17/04 04:54 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
We're getting a somewhat divergent discussion here about safety in one country versus another, so I've started a new thread to continue this:

Electrical safety in Europe

#140569 05/17/04 06:13 PM
F
Mr. Super-bright thought he'd climb a railway car to get better aim. Then he came a bit close to the 15kV catenary, it was a damp night... well, it was a very nice funeral!

Thus proving once again that you can take a horse to water..but even they are smart enough to know their limits..unlike some humans!! [Linked Image]

#140570 05/21/04 02:54 AM
A
High folks,
this looks like a good forum, just joined, hope to be able to contribute in the future.
you appear to have had some cracking topics going. I have my own opinions on this colour change.
Why not make all conductors black force everybody into doing some sort of testing like R1+R2 or is that to radical. Most of the rubbish spoken aboutthis topic is all DIY related. No self respecting spark gives a dam what colour the cables are to start with, he tests and sleeves the cores accordingly. Over the years I have come across alsorts of colours being used on the same circuit especially in industry where machines have been moved and someone has extended the circuit with whatever he/she (politicaly correct) can lay their hands on.

#140571 05/21/04 03:14 AM
Hi there aland!.
Welcome to to ECN. [Linked Image]
this looks like a good forum, just joined, hope to be able to contribute in the future.
Well, aland, we hope you contribute, in the future, thanks for coming here!. [Linked Image]

#140572 05/23/04 02:42 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Hi Aland, and welcome to the forum.

Why not make all conductors black force everybody into doing some sort of testing like R1+R2 or is that to radical.
That's certainly one way of going about it, although with the mix of systems we'll soon have scattered around the country that will probably have to become the norm anyway.

Don't forget there has been a similar system used on some flexible cables already:- All black cores (except earth) with number identification: 0=neutral, 1,2,3 etc. for phases and other hot lines.

By the way, I once had to try to troubleshoot an Italian-made washing machine. The wiring loom inside was a nightmare to trace. They'd used green/yellow for grounds and blue for neutrals, but everything else was wired in black, so a typical cable bunch had one green/yellow, one blue, and a dozen blacks. Aaarrgggh! [Linked Image]

#140573 05/23/04 06:32 PM
F
Paul..complaining about the use of blacks in that manner is not politically correct [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

#140574 05/25/04 06:20 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
[Linked Image]

#140575 06/26/04 12:14 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
We're now nearly at the end of June, and I've yet to see a reel of the new cable.

BDC Norwich still has none of it, and the B&Q DIY store racks are still the old colors. The latter has some reels with May stock dates on them now, but whether that's the date it came from the manufacturer or the date they got it in Norwich from the B&Q distribution center, I don't know.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard