ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 248 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#140379 02/28/04 05:49 PM
:
:andy: Offline OP
searching for some electrical stuff on google, i found some interesting sites. I dont want to link to all of the pictures, so just check these nice pages:

switzerland http://www.adisto.ch/fotos.htm

http://www.bestmeister.de/schocker.htm German, hit the red Punchbutton on the page. inside the photo gallery, dont miss the further pages (pointer at upper right)

If anyone wants picture descriptions translated, just ask me.

and two pics that are too complicated to find on the page:

[Linked Image from bestmeister.de]

now how can this happen?

comments?

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 02-28-2004).]

#140380 02/28/04 06:33 PM
:
Well, i'll edit some "burners"
hope the picture linking works.

first: dont get the wrong view of us here! thats all diy work [Linked Image]

rubber cable vs. water vs. winter ......

now that one is really great. Improperly connected wire without prescribed Ferrule. The Breakers are spread over DIY markets, no electrician would sell you these. So guess who installed...

Melted Aluminium foil around glass fuse

water dripping into panel from a pipe fault.

#140381 02/28/04 06:38 PM
:
"What's that for?" Receplacle plugged into Receptacle. check the other wiring...

"next work step: covered with drywall" that little block anywhere in the middle is a Bell transformer. And no, we dont have yellow wirenuts, thats all tape!!

Ground-less Receptacle installed on moveable door with flex Loudspeaker cable. Now who tops this?

that one has a good story. the hot water pipes were not grounded and had a power fault anywhere. The metal hook mounted to a grounded part of steel at the upper end made the gnd contact and glowed. The guy over this was concerned about his warm floor with no floo rheating [Linked Image]

choc block or hot chocolate? flex cable for fixed install, diy, what more to say...

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 02-29-2004).]

#140382 02/28/04 06:45 PM
:

ending up that way:

GFCI = CHOC BLOCK

mounting kings... GOT YOU!

Solid+Stranded easily connected

hell, thats a huge archive. still more pics, dont miss it

#140383 02/28/04 10:17 PM
D
djk Offline
What would you want a socket on the back of a door for!?

We moved into a house and found a rather "DIY" looking surface mounted double BS1363 socket and decided to investigate it as it didn't switch off when the RCD tripped one day.

It was wired directly into the back of the cooker!!!!

as was the microwave!.. they'd simply cut the plug off and wired it squished the cables into the cooker connector! along with cables going to this socket and the incomming heavy cooker cable!...

---

I've also had to put out a fire caused by someone using a washing machine and dryer connected to a 2 socket extension reel.. they'd just bypassed the 13 fuse in the plug as it kept blowing...

---

Oh yeah, also found recessed lights grounded by simply by stripping back their earth cables and wrapping them tighting around a water pipe!!! in the attic.

I guess you have to give the guy some marks for effort, at least he vaguely understood the concept of grounding. Most people just wouldn't bother to hook that cable up if they couldn't find somewhere to connect it to.

I have no idea why he didn't just connect them to the grounding contact provided for them in the junction box they were connected to anyway!

The same guy also insulated with 4" of fiber glass wool right over the top of the light cans in the attic.. they had obviously repeatedly caught fire and gone out when we dug them out of the insulation.. it was very lucky that they'd nothing except plaster and fiber glass around them.. all of the insulation had burned off the cables!

We also dug a VERY hot bell transformer out from under the fiber glass too..

#140384 02/29/04 05:30 AM
P
Thanks for the links and comments Andy. There's some good examples there of how not to install wiring.

Re the socket on the back of the door, maybe someone needed an outlet there quickly and couldn't be bothered to drill and plug the masonry wall alongside? Just shove a couple of wood or self-tapping screws into the door, et voila! [Linked Image] "Adjustable angle receptacle, patent pending...."

DJK,
The people installing fiberglass insulation (including some of the professional guys) really need lessons on what shouldn't be covered by it. They seem to just roll it over the top of everything in sight. I've seen can lights where the plastic and wiring has just about melted away as well.

#140385 02/29/04 08:28 AM
:
There's even a better update about the water pipe Grounding.

The Pipe was installed in 1964, and as a new guy moved in some years ago, he used to walk bare feet at home, he realized the warm spot in his floor. No idea how long this was "heating" already. Really crazy story. I'm asking what current flow was needed to bring that thing to glow [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by :andy: (edited 02-29-2004).]

Link Copied to Clipboard