ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 376 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#138913 10/04/03 06:51 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
--YAY!!--
Daylight saving starts tomorrow!. [Linked Image]
This normally means that this is the end of Winter and colder temperatures and the days get longer at the evening end of the day.
Not meaning to gloat at you guys going into Winter, but it's been a long cold miserable time, since last Summer and I for one will be looking forward to some good Summer weather, am sick of being stuck indoors just these past few months, roll out the BBQ, bring it on! [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

P
I know that feeling: It's great to know that spring is on the way!

Only a couple of weeks now until our clocks "fall back" an hour and we start shutting ourselves away indoors after dinner. [Linked Image]

The rural area where I live takes on a totally different character winter and summer.

Summer time it's light until late, the tourists cruise their boats up and down the Broads (inland waterways), kids are playing on the beach or riding their bicycles and enjoying themselves. Then winter comes along, the back lanes turn into muddy swamps, and the wet and windy weather sweeps across the open countryside. Mid-winter it's not unusual to start turning lights on at 3:30 pm on an overcast day.

Trumpy Offline OP
Yeah Paul!,
Like I said mate, I'm not willing to gloat, but there are parts of Australia (in the Outback) where the sun shines every day of the year, but we are talking temperatures of up to 40 degrees C+.
New Zealand is slowly becoming like this, hard winters and longer hotter summers, extremes to say the least.
The Cabbage tree outside is in flower and that means it is going to be a dry summer, it's only flowered twice since I have been in Ashburton and the last time it did we had the BIG DRY of 1998, all of our rivers dried up and the Ashburton water supply actually stopped for two days.
I don't like the look of this!. [Linked Image]

G
PaulUK:

About that time British Airways runs commercials about how theaters and other tourist spots are not as crowded in London and how it is a great time to go there [Linked Image]

Out in San Francisco, that means the rainy season as we get close to winter. It's very rare that we get snow.

Btw, anyone besides myself have those "radio controlled" clocks? Ours' takes a 60 kHz time coded radio signal and it automatically takes care of dst changes.

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 10-15-2003).]

B
Gene — "Systems" GPS clocks have the reset feature. I do not know if consumer-type handheld GPS boxes do also.

Apparently some GSM-standard cellular phones have the capability of updating their displays moving between cellular nodes in different time zones. PCs can be set via Simple Network Time Protcol that also automates the process — a freeware utilty like NetLab 1.4 will enable the function.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 10-16-2003).]

T
Radio controlled clocks are pretty common here, both wristwatches and alarm clocks. We have 2 radio controlled alarm clocks we always use to set all other clocks. I think they get their signal from an atomic clock in Frankfurt/Germany.

G
Bjarney: I have three consumer GPS units, I'm sure all except my most ancient, a Garmin 12XL, should have that feature.

Texas Ranger: That station is DCF77 www.dcf77.de

On winter time, I spent a few days up in Anchorage, Alaska during December. The sun there rises around 10 am, hangs low in the sky, then sets at 4 pm. That and the cold keeps folks in for so long, they get "cabin fever", described as a "12ft. stare in a 10 ft room" [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 10-16-2003).]

[This message has been edited by GeneSF (edited 10-16-2003).]

P
About that time British Airways runs commercials about how theaters and other tourist spots are not as crowded in London and how it is a great time to go there
Until everybody sees those ads and decides to go at the same time! [Linked Image]

The weather's not holding up too bad here for the middle of October. It's getting chilly at night now and autumnal winds are definitely on the way, but we're still getting some days bright and sunny, temperatures comfortably up into the 60s.

Winter's just going to feel cold after the heatwave this summer.

Radio-controlled clocks appeared as projects in quite a few electronics journals in the 1970s, most of them here picking up the powerful standard time signal from the transmitter at Rugby, England.

C
C-H Offline
Winter just arrived. I had the questionable pleasure of walking/slipping on snow and ice today. Brr...

I'd like to live on the southern hemisphere october-march and on the northern hemisphere april-september. [Linked Image]

:
i'm in germany, and i like it. nice weather and hot in the summer, nice winters with snow.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard