ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#138360 09/03/03 06:44 PM
L
There is a drive within uk industry to produce multi-skilled operatives. Guys who are competent in mechanical and electrical work.
Are multi-discipline personnel required/sought after where you are?

regards

lyle dunn
#138361 09/04/03 12:47 PM
P
one things for sure i dont want to see plumbers carrying out wiring..

if i get the chance i will submit some pics of a job i was on where the plumber carried out his own wiring..

He came to me and asked if i could look at the wiring diagram for the boiler connections etc.. he missed out 15 cores of cable..

well done!!

#138362 09/04/03 04:09 PM
P
I think those of us who are self-employed have to be multi-skilled to some extent of necessity.

But I have to agree with Paul about plumbers' wiring. I've seen some which is truly attrocious. Fortunately, the plumber in my neighborhood with whom I've worked on many projects knows to leave well-alone when he's out of his depth.

#138363 09/04/03 04:25 PM
S
There was a picture here once of a service entry box somewhere in the 'States that had been fitted out with water (or was it steam?) pipe as conduit

...and there was a kitchen sink faucet sticking out the side!!!! [Linked Image]

Paul? Bill? Do you guys remember what I'm talking about?

#138364 09/04/03 06:07 PM
P
Have you guys heard of a new requirement, where you cannot install PVC cables touching polystyrene beads or sheets..

I belive there is some kind of reaction between the two,,

Maybe some one could confirm this??

the reason i say this is that this same plumber laid his cables in the polystyrene instaltion in the floor screed. i said i thought it wouldnt be wise and to use conduit or run them in the ceiling void..

Thoughts??

#138365 09/04/03 06:15 PM
P
oh and another thing.. any good electrician should be multi skilled..maybe not all these below..

conduit,trunking,tray, SWA,PYRO, T&E, Fire tuff cables,soldering,crimping,panel boards,fire alarms,emergency lighting,hazadous areas,motors, generators,PLCs,inspection and testing,high voltage, low voltage, cable jointing,fault finding,burglar alarms.chasing walls and making good, fitting noggins,

any one think of anything else

#138366 09/04/03 06:47 PM
D
Hi PaulC,
You are quite correct it is a widely known fact that a reaction takes place between PVC sheathed cables & polystyrene beads/sheets.
This has been known for more than 20 years, I was told about this as a 1st year apprentice.
For more information see IEE Guidance Note 1.
Enclosing the cables in plastic conduit prevents the plasticiser migration.

#138367 09/05/03 11:30 AM
Lyle,
Over here, Any Industrial Electrician that has the skills and knowledge of Pneumatics and Hydraulics is very much sort after.
But any Trade qualified Electrician, here is required to know how to fabricate things in wood, steel and plastics. [Linked Image]

#138368 09/07/03 11:08 PM
D
I work for a factory where the maintenance department is made up of electricians, pipefitters, machinists, millwrights, welders, laborers, carpenters, blacksmiths, and tinners. I must say it's nice just do your own job without having to learn somebody elses. But we always help out other crafts in little ways.

We are pretty strict about not doing other people's jobs too especially when it involves the management. A job security type thing. We really don't have too much pressure from the company to do other craft's work. The pressure is from outsourcing(contractors)(did I say that in here! [Linked Image] ). My company is slowly going towards hiring contractors for short term jobs. Good and bad, just a shifting of the job market. I would love to start my own maintenance electrician business. Doing only troubleshooting, lighting, calibrations, and safety checks. As an everyday troubleshooter, I'm swamped with calls that I will never get time to do. But we used to have twice the number of guys too. So they want us to do more with less.

I could not see a multi-craft maintenance shop doing the style of work we do. But on the other hand, we probably cost three times as much. I think we can afford it because we're a defense contractor.

I used to work multi-craft in a locomotive crane yard. I was the electrician but from time to time I was welding or beating out bushings. I learned alot from that job about other crafts that I think one day will benefit me. I also question my fellow maintenance people every chance I get. Wether it is air-logic, fluid flow, or what the size of chain links are. History repeats itself and I grew up in an economic boom, I'm not taking anything for granted! I'm learning as much as I can within reason. I've had the benefit of traveling around the world when I was in the Navy and seeing how rosy things are in the U.S.

One more thing then I'll shut up [Linked Image]

I think our(United States) job market is turning towards all multi-craft. I see ads all the time for:

Building Maintenance Engineering/Electronic/Electrical Technician/Superhero

1)must know 34KV and all associated power levels (CPR trained preferred)
2)troubleshoot/maintain/install/calibrate any piece of gear from any country--efficiently
3)troubleshoot and program PLC's, VFD's, ABT's, ABC's, and XYZ's.(in no particular order)
4)maintain building HVAC
5)bring donuts everyday
6)supply own truck and tools
$12.50/hour

I make $24.00 an hour just to be an electrician. That's why I worry about my job everday, if I lost it I would have to take up superhero status.

I'll step down now. [Linked Image]

#138369 09/07/03 11:21 PM
R
The Jack of all trades and master of none concept is a scary one to me. I am certified to inspect anything in a commercial or residential building. I am very proud of this accomplishment, but I will be the first to tell you...every time a building code item comes into my left ear an electrical code item falls out of my right. Sad but true. As human beings we are all limitted in how much knowledge we can retain. I do hope that combination tradespeople never make it to my neck of the woods.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard