ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 162 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
As part of our Homeowner and Consumer safety area(s) here at ECN a Photo/Information area has been planned for a while now. It will show some common hazards and violations that a Homeowner is likely to encounter and should therefore recognize. The intent here would be to educate the consumer somewhat as to when, or if, attention to the Electrical System is necessary.

I am often surprised at what is overlooked or simply not 'seen' by the consumer until something happens. I believe that pictures of common situations and 'plain english' descriptions of possible hazards involved may help more people realize when something must be done and why it must be done right. It might also help if they could spot when they are getting, or have had a sub-standard installation. My feelings are that this area could help some to recognize the importance of learning how to do it correctly themselves, or to learn the value in hiring an Experienced/Qualified person and give them some benchmarks by which they can better judge these things.

Some of the pictures we have in the Forum here are great for this project and will be used, but many more could be found I'm sure.

Any suggestions? What are the most common violations/hazards that you see in Homes? How about 'plain english' explanations or advice? Any good pictures would be appreciated!

Bill

Bill
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
By far the most common problem I see in older homes is over fusing both with edison fuses and circuit breakers. (If you have 2 15 amp circuits you can just double them up on a 30 amp breaker, right?) I don't even know why home centers and hardware stores should be allowed to sell 30 amp single pole breakers.
I guess second most common is a tossup between miswired receps and improper grounding.

W
In my area seems like everyone that lives here wired their own house at least once!! [Linked Image]

A few I seem to come across often are:

Length of conductors extended out from junction boxes are too short.

Grounds are twisted together without using any type of connector or crimp.

Box fill is exceeded.

Romex ran exposed subject to physical damage.

Wattage of lamps exceed fixture raitings.

Well, it's a start.

I know I am missing some.

Wirewiz

Great Idea!

I'll do my part to contribute... You've inspired me!

I don't even know why home centers and hardware stores should be allowed to sell 30 amp single pole breakers.

I usually take a hammer to any single pole 30 Amp CB's I come across (after replacing them with 15s or 20s...); the "violence" seems to get my point across.

[Linked Image]

-Virgil
Residential/Commercial Inspector
5 Star Inspections
Member IAEI
S
The photo's & violation sections here have hazards obvious to us, and would require explanation in rationale, not dry code articles for 'layman' 'DIY' interaction.

that said.....

i see many a 'flying splice' on my turf....

Bill:

I have many residential images that can be used to explain the rules and common code violations, including those used in my books.

Here's one that has a few violations!
[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 09-14-2002).]

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
Sparky,

The photo's & violation sections here have hazards obvious to us, and would require explanation in rationale, not dry code articles for 'layman' 'DIY' interaction.
I think we're in agreement here that explanations would be needed for better understanding. Applicable code sections could be included for those that would like to 'follow the book'.

Please keep in mind that this would be an area offered for informational purposes only, not interactive, and not in the form of How-To instructions. One of it's goals would be to promote safety and the value in having Electrical work done correctly by qualified and licensed/certified persons. I was hoping that it might be a good project that many would like to get behind and contribute to. We could use an area of the forum here to work out topics and related comments before they are presented elsewhere.

'Flying Splices' are a good example. Now we need a good explanation(s) of why they are bad (and applicable code section(s), of course). (and pictures)

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
H
Joe,

Once upon a time, I think I sent you my top ten list for several different scenes. Like a rough inspection, final, service inspection, etc. Do you still have that?

Caper

Several Topics (Topics: >> ) have been posted in the 'Photos Submitted Area' Please add your comments on these.

How would you advise your Customer on these, How would you explain the Danger or concerns? What violations would an Inspector cite these for? .. etc.

Bill

Bill
S
allllllrighty then.
[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard