ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#137686 07/23/03 03:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Now here's a question and a half.
I recently quoted for some fluorescent light fittings, that are going to be installed into a Beer Chilling Room.
The temperature in the room, will be kept at a constant 2*C, with a reasonably high degree of condensation in the room.
I have allowed for IP 66 water-proof fittings, but, here is the main crux of my question.
In the newest fittings that are coming out these days, they all have HF(High-Frequency)
Ballasts in them, which produce no appreciable heat output, with the standard wire-wound Ballasts, you were assured of the ballasts keeping the fittings warm in a situation like this and there would not be a problem, with current flow, because of temp.co-efficient.
My real question is, have any of you guys ever installed fittings like this(w/HF ballasts) and had problems with them at low temperatures?.
We are only just starting to get into this sort of technology, now with the MEEPS(Minimum Energy Efficiency Perfomance Standards) protocol.
But, what are your thoughts on this, as you cannot get fittings over here now with Wire-Wound Ballasts in them!. [Linked Image]

#137687 07/23/03 04:46 AM
I use to install draught beers systems and was always amased at the amount of water acumulating in the glass/wiregard lamp protecter in the walkin beer cooler the matenance man would remove these and the health inspecter would tell them to put them back;they asked me what they could do about it the light system was recessed romex all i could was suggest a conduit raceway they solve it themselves by finding plastic lamp protecters and` drilling a pinhole in them .I didnt get the job

#137688 07/23/03 05:40 PM
B
I have installed many HF ballasts from Osram. Are you talking about TLD lamps or are you reffering to the new TL5 lamps? If you're reffering to TLD, then make sure that the ballast is a "warm ignition" type. I think that your main problem at low temperatures would be at the ignition of the lamps, since once it's lit there is a certain warmth from the lamp itself which should keep it lit. Another point: If referenve to TLD, then there are special TLD lamps for low temperatures. Personally I prefer the Ballasts from Osram but the lamps from Philips. I would advise you to check out their website. Since you are talking about fittings with IP66, then I would advise to look for that too by Philips, since Osram don't do IP66 Fittings with HF ballasts.

#137689 07/25/03 01:53 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Belgian,
I was referring to the Philips TLD fittings.
Bear in mind, that these fittings are fully enclosed in a plastic body, so I reckon they should stay warm enough.
Like I said earlier, these types of fittings
(with HF Ballasts), are a bit of an unknown quantity, with us, due to them only just coming onto the market and only time will tell how good (or otherwise) they are. [Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard