ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#137034 05/24/03 04:54 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
You guys at ECN are pretty reliable with advice. [Linked Image]
But I have something that will make you all wonder what the Hell is going on over here.
The only reason why I am divulging this sort of info, is because I have a hunch, that someone is up to no good.
(Bear in mind, this will be a huge post!)
Right, let's cut to the chase!.
I am of the opinion that there is a guy here in Ashburton, that is trying to burn his house down for the insurance money, but I cannot be sure that this is what is going on.
This fellow, is the only person living in the house(which was inherited from his Father), the house itself was built in the 1900's and was fully re-wired in 1983, it has 8 bedrooms,2 lounges and massive hallways.
But, a few incidents in the last week have made me wonder( at the same place)
These are:
  • Saturday 17th(1000Hrs)- Fire service responds to multiple 111 calls regarding smoke escaping from under roofing iron, a small fire was located in the roof void and extinguished.
    Apparently, this was put down to a localised Electrical Fault, the guy was told by the Officer in Charge of the Incident to get the wiring checked, no more was said.
    I was there to pull the Mains Fuse, by the PoCo regs.
  • Sunday 18th(0400Hrs)
    Fire Brigade responds to a fire in one of the bedrooms, this time caused by a lamp that had "fallen over", brigade controls blaze to this room alone, extensive smoke damage to the ceiling and walls of this room.
    (As an aside to this,I was talking with the Officer in charge of the first appliance, and he said that the guy was up and dressed when they arrived, now considering that this guy sleeps at the other end of the house to where the fire occured and with the added effect of not having smoke detectors in the house, don't you find this strange?)
  • Tuesday 20th [Linked Image]2330Hrs)Brigade responds to a fire in Living room, that originated (so I think) in the opposite side of the room to any possible heat source.
    Even though the guy says that the incident could have been caused by the Open Fire, there was no wood or ash in the fireplace.
    I was the Officer in charge at this incident and I had a good look around this place and I checked the switchboard, just out of curiousity(sp?).
    What I saw at the switchboard, scared me, and this is not easily done these days.
    The fuses were just a "front" and all of the Line and Load side wires were twisted together and put into the terminals on the fuse base.
    This incident wrecked the Kitchen, Dining area, adjoining Bedroom, the Rear Porch and almost brought the whole roof down on us.

I was talking to an insurance assessor a few days later(he contacted me regarding my FIRS 132 report of the incident), I told him what I knew.
What really annoys me is the fact that people like me are paying for all of this BS.
What are your thoughts on this?
What do you think of this guy's attempt to defraud the insurance companies?.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-24-2003).]

#137035 05/24/03 08:10 AM
P
Three fires in four days certainly does sound rather suspicious, and more than one might expect by chance alone.

What about the bypassed fuses? Would the 1983 rewire have been done professionally, so no chance of it being an "honest mistake" due to DIY incompetence?

Something smells very fishy here......

#137036 05/24/03 07:24 PM
B
Repeated emergency responses at the same address but in different rooms with seemingly different origins seem suspect at best. Would the fuse bypass qualify for termination of electric service because of it’s immediate and obvious danger? It seems likely intentionally done to cause damage. The matter is probably complicated some if he is the only resident.

IIRC, awhile back you mentioned another case of contacting officials with the wallet of an electrical prankster. Could you discuss the seeming pyromaniac with the same person or department? They may be able to give opinions about proceeding where likely illegal activity has occurred. Arson attempts are often given some priority in investigation. Another task may be to discuss your suspicions with other emergency responders that have been in the house and witnessed “the perp” (perpetrator) and ”the scene of the crime.”

#137037 05/24/03 11:51 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Paul,
I checked up the records of Permits and the house was re-wired by Electricity Ashburton,
(the local Power Board, when they had Electricians(also my former employer)).
So any sort of tampering must have occured after the re-wire.
Bjarney,
I disconnected the house at the pole and removed the HV DDO fuses(house is fed by a 11kV/400V tranny) and these fuses will not be replaced until the house and it's wiring are back up to my standard of electrical safety.
They are sitting in my truck glovebox.
IIRC?.
I'll definitely be taking this further, although I will have to get the police in to have a look at it too, Firefighters and Officers are not allowed to institute cases where they feel arson has occured, this must be done through the Police, which is fair enough.
This house is set back a fair way off the road that runs past it and with the lack of houses around it, it means that we can't ask any neighbours if they heard or saw anything suspicious.
BTW, Bjarney, that young fella got his comeuppance, he has to sand and re-paint the white areas on our power poles for three weeks.
Apparently, he must have had a hua of a fright when the police turned up on his doorstep, with his wallet!. [Linked Image]
Good enough for him too!

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 05-24-2003).]

#137038 05/25/03 01:24 AM
B
IIRC? Oops. I hate it when people use abbreviations I don't recognize. Sorry.

"If I remember correctly..."

#137039 05/25/03 01:45 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
It's OK mate!!, just wondered what it meant.

#137040 05/25/03 08:25 AM
T
Definitely sounds like "warm demolition" as we say in German. I'd only fear he might switch to kerosene lighting or candles after power was cut. Would be even more effective.

#137041 05/25/03 10:04 AM
D
djk Offline
Not all that much the police can do really. They'd need to get him psychatrically assessed and then perhaps they could do something if he's a danger to himself and/or others.

#137042 05/26/03 02:43 PM
P
I disconnected the house at the pole and removed the HV DDO fuses(house is fed by a 11kV/400V tranny) and these fuses will not be replaced until the house and it's wiring are back up to my standard of electrical safety.
If he's that determined, you don't suppose he'd be stupid enough to try and climb the pole to bridge them, do you? [Linked Image]

#137043 06/07/03 12:13 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Too late fella's,
The house is on the ground.
We extinguished and dampened down what was left of it at 0300 this morning.
The guy has been taken into custody, to explain a very large explosion that happened before the Fire Service was called.
Thanks very much for all of your help and guidance on this topic.
It is most appreciated!!. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard