ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#136951 05/15/03 03:58 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
The trees are green, the air is warm, the sun is up most of the time. Everything just seems a lot easier this time of year. [Linked Image] (Ignoring mosquitos, wasps and other little creatures.)

Personally, I much prefer the 18-hour-days of May and June to the six-hour-days of November and December.

How about you, what is the best time of year? Is it spring, summer, autumn or winter?

Sorry if I offend someone "down under"...

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 05-15-2003).]

#136952 05/16/03 06:39 PM
No offence taken here, mate! [Linked Image]
We are just going into Winter, here in NZ, mind you we haven't had Summer here yet either(at least it doesn't feel like it!).
Soon be time to get ready for the snow.
Groan, then things will get busy!! [Linked Image]

#136953 05/18/03 06:37 AM
P
Yes, summer seems to be on its way at last, and it's certainly my favorite time of year in England.

Spring is often very unpredictable, changing from bright, warm and sunny one day to gray, wet, and windy the next. The bright spells are definitely cheering after weeks of miserable winter weather.

Last summer was quite nice here in eatern England, with temperatures up into the 80s quite a few times. It seems to be very changeable though, because the summer before was short and cool.

Early autumn often brings us a little Indian Summer for a couple of weeks before the temperatures start to drop down to the low 40s at night by the middle of October.

On the daylight hours, we don't get quite such a variation as in Sweden, of course, but during mid-winter it is quite miserable when sunset is at 4:30pm and the skies are so gray and overcast that we're all turning on lights by 3:30pm.

Those summer evenings when it stays light until 9:30 or later are lovely!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 05-18-2003).]

#136954 05/20/03 01:48 AM
Paul,
Early autumn often brings us a little Indian Summer for a couple of weeks before the temperatures start to drop down to the low 40s at night by the middle of October.
I take it, that you mean Fahrenheit, not Celsius!. [Linked Image]
Our winters are practically the same here in NZ, Paul, it takes longer to get light in the mornings and gets dark really early in the evenings.
I hate working during this time of the year,as you lose your light at the most important part of the day(around 5pm, when you are rushing to get the power back on to someones house after you've done a panel change!).

#136955 05/20/03 06:40 AM
P
I take it, that you mean Fahrenheit, not Celsius! [Linked Image]
Yep. I still "think" in degrees Fahrenheit, as do many people of my age or older here, despite the fact that our official weather sources have used Celsius for a good few years now.

It still seems odd to me to hear a forecaster saying something like "It's going to be quite warm today, at 22 degrees." They still sometimes give deg.F equivalents as an afterthought, but not always.

I know what you mean about trying to get jobs finished on those winter days when it gets dark early. Outside work, such as exterior lighting, is awkward too, as it's often cold, wet and windy during the daylight hours, nevermind as it gets nearer to sunset. (Not anywhere near as cold as in, say, the American MidWest, but it's a different kind of cold, if that makes sense.)

Link Copied to Clipboard