ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 340 guests, and 26 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Electra Offline OP
I was just curious if anybody knew the history of why it took so long to change the requirements for ranges and dryers from 3-wire to 4-wire hookup.

Electra,
Check out this thread . You might ask Creighton.
Good Luck,
Doc

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
C
prior to the 1947 NEC equipment could be grounded to the grounded conductor only by special permission. In Sec. 2560 in the 1947 NEC it was specifically permitted to ground an electric range to the grounded conductor. This could result in a small voltage between the range frame and adjacent grounded surfaces, but was rarely a problem. It is my understanding that in 1947 the Utilities were interested in building load, and to make range installation less costly the 3-wire rather than 4-wire connection was permitted. One argument in favor is that if the grounding conductor to a range is open there will be no indication of it until it is needed, but with the old 3-wire connection if the neutral is open the clock does not work, the oven light does not work, and it is obvious that something is wrong, and it will be repaired. Now only existing 3-wire range outlets are permitted, new installations requiring 4-wire.
The 3-wire concept was extended to dryers. If you need to know when, I will look it up.
Hope this helps. Creighton

Link Copied to Clipboard