ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#134624 11/22/02 05:28 PM
C
C-H Offline OP
This picture shows what a normal Schuko-plug look like. Yes, I know you know what it looks like. But have you seen all the approvals? Most plugs look like this. A common market in Europe, eh? Manufacturers still get approvals from every country, despite the fact that they don't need to do so.

[Linked Image from interpower.com]

Starting from top left, going counter- clockwise:

GOST - Russia *
IMG - Italy
CEBEC - Belgium
ÖVE - Austria
Semko - Sweden
Nemko - Norway
Demko - Denmark (owned by UL!) **
Fimko - Finland
NF - France
VDE - Germany

Between the pins:
Kema-Keur - Holland

* There has been a myth around that plugs intended for Russia must have thinner pins than for other countries. Seems to be untrue, but several manufacturers make such plugs. It's likely that they are not safe if used in other countries.

** The Demko mark is possibly faked, since this plug presents a risk of both fire and electrocution if used in a Danish socket.

#134625 11/23/02 10:38 AM
T
My personal guess would be that russian plugs indeed have thiner pins, but the receptacles also take standard pins (for example like our old ungrounded receptacles)
Guess they just continue producing that stuff like they used to. Really familiar view!

#134626 11/23/02 01:16 PM
S
Yes, I know you know what it looks like.

not really....

#134627 11/23/02 03:54 PM
P
Not such a problem on plugs here of course, as we have our own peculiar type, but the large number of approval marks is a familiar sight nevertheless.

A typical component such as a trigger switch in a power tool these days has one whole side stamped (in very small print) with all these symbols. I thought the "CE" mark system was supposed to cover all of the EU? (And I'm sure all of us on this side of the Pond will be having a good laugh at the idea of the EU making something easier than it was before....)

I have no idea how the Danish approval process works, but I wouldn't have thought they'd like that plug either. Insert it into a Danish receptacle and there'll be no ground connection.

Sparky,
The plug in C-H's image is a dual-function type which is found throughout Continental Europe these days.

When mated with the German "Schuko" receptacle the grounding connection is made by the two strips along the sides (and the plug is non-polarized).

The extra connection "hole" on the face of the plug is to that it will also fit a French outlet. These have a male pin on the receptacle for the ground connection.

#134628 11/24/02 03:41 PM
C
C-H Offline OP

My personal guess would be that russian plugs indeed have thiner pins, but the receptacles also take standard pins (for example like our old ungrounded receptacles)
Guess they just continue producing that stuff like they used to.

Well, considering the fact that it's reported (from several sources, including Russian) that 4.8 mm plugs don't fit most Russian sockets and also that grounded sockets are very rare, I would dare to guess that the ungrounded sockets are indeed made for 4 mm pins, but that the grounded sockets are made for 4.8 mm pins. That would make it stupid for a Russian manufacturer to make a plug with large pins unless required to, as it wouldn't fit very many sockets. This is not a problem for foreign suppliers.

Or somebody paid the Russian approval agency some $$$ [Linked Image]

#134629 11/24/02 06:27 PM
P
I seem to recall once reading that Russian plugs had thinner pins as well. Wish I could remember where it was.....

#134630 11/25/02 08:58 AM
C
C-H Offline OP
Shouldn't be too hard to find. It's one single page that has been copied by numerous sources. The information looks to have been compiled about ten years ago. Only trouble is that whoever wrote it in the first place didn't check the facts very carefully.

Somewhere it also mentions that when reunited Germany adopted the West-German Shucko plug only. I'm sure they did, it was in use before WWII... [Linked Image]

#134631 11/25/02 09:09 AM
T
I definitely have a Schuko plug from GDR, and I think it was used in communist Hungaria as well. Czech republic and Poland use french plugs, don't know since when.

#134632 11/25/02 09:09 AM
S
The perspective for me at least,is that our NEC needs to go a few more cycles to truley attain the 'international' statusit has recently promoted itself to.

#134633 11/25/02 09:14 AM
C
C-H Offline OP
I just got a reply from UL concerning the Demko mark on the plug. It's not fake!

Jeg kan informere om at det er muligt at teste efter IEC 60884-1+ SB 107-2-D1 for en Schuko-stikprop og sætte DEMKO mærket på. Der kan sælges apparater med Schuko stikproppen på. Det er dog op til den enkle forbruger at skifte til en Dansk stikprop hvis lokaliteten kræver det i henhold til
Dansk lovgivning.
[...]
UL International Demko A/S
My translation from Danish:
---------
I can inform [you] that it is possible to test according to IEC 60884-1+ SB 107-2-D1 for a Schuko-plug and apply the Demko mark. Appliances can be sold with the Schuko plug. It is however up to the individual user to replace it with a Danish plug if the location requires it with respect to Danish law.

UL International Demko A/S
----------

Your take on that?

[This message has been edited by C-H (edited 11-25-2002).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard