ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#134492 11/16/02 10:16 PM
Trumpy Offline OP
Have you ever installed an Automation system in a house, for a customer?.
With a lot of rich Asian people coming over here to build new houses, they want everything, all the mod-cons, even the gates are automated.
We normally use a system like a Clipsal C-Bus,if you want to check this out, have a look at:www.clipsal.com.au/pro_int.ctm and then click on "To access CIS website".
Just, would like a bit of input on this-

#134493 11/17/02 05:38 AM
P
Not much call for this sort of thing in my area. The fanciest equipment I've been asked to install is just a pair of automatic garage door openers, along with intruder alarms, etc.

Probably more call in the rich suburbs down in Surrey, Middlesex etc. (London commuter belt).

#134494 11/18/02 01:53 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
Yes,
I am suprised that these systems(Home Automation)aren't more popular.
Mind you, they do entail quite a large investment, to install.
We had a system "sold" to our company, a couple of years ago, it was called a Connect-net system, used to distribute MATV,
Cable, Digital,MMDS signals, around a residential installation, it wouldn't have been so bad, but the components were so expensive,I could have built the same thing, for a tenth of the price.
The Boss was really keen on us installing these, he even had us install one in his house.
To date, this is the only one we have installed.
Although, they did bring out a Remote Control Extender network,security camera system, an internal Phone/Data system, like I said, it was just too dear for ordinary working people.
My Boss hates when I talk about the White Elephant, in his house,he paid far too much for it!.
[Linked Image]

#134495 11/24/02 12:33 AM
Trumpy Offline OP
This is no doubt the technology of the future, it will be used sooner or later,
why is no-one even researching it?. [Linked Image]

#134496 11/24/02 09:08 AM
S
Actually many posters here have written on the application of X-10 or similar controls for various problems they have encountered.

Leviton IMHO, has some good products, and good tech support to go along with it ( which to me, is a valued aspect of anything i try 1st time)
[Linked Image from leviton.com]

i incorporated the remote control ( like a TV clicker) in my last install, so the customer could walk around outside an d turn on His/Her landscape lighting, etc...

a big thrill for the 'gadgeter'
[Linked Image]

Link Copied to Clipboard