ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Trumpy Offline OP
Well,
Joe started it,
Tell me what is your favourite meal?,
what can you eat until it comes out your ears?.
Don't be shy now!.

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 11-12-2002).]

P
Hmm, where to start......

I like Chinese food, also spicy Mexican. But then I'm also partial to a good ol' American steak in Shoneys or traditional British fish and chips (in paper of course!).

S
my wife claims i'm like feedin' the dog....

not too picky....

i do eat a lot of chicken & pork, but only because i raise them

Many times when we go out I'd really prefer to have the Grilled Cheese sandwiches on the kid's menu, but I would need a couple [Linked Image]
Baked Macaroni and Cheese, a good Burger (or Steak) and Fries, Fried Shrimp, Fetuccini Alfredo ... I'm getting hungry now, see what you did?

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
C
Well, since I'm from New England, seafood!

Fish and chips and clam chowder all the way!

We don't eat our fish and chips in paper though. Paul, does that mean they're not authentic? [Linked Image]

I also like any ethnic food.

Peter
Trumpy Offline OP
My favourite foods are Ethnic,
I love anything that is HOT,the hotter the better, Indian curries, Chillied steak,
Tex-Mex is pretty cool too.
Love our Bluff Oysters, when you can get them, they are a real treat, eaten raw, with lemon juice.
Old Appy, take note, we shuck our own oysters down here and we don't go to a trendy restaurant to eat them.
But most of all, I love good old Fish and Chips, served in Paper, no Salt, you salt your own.
Nicely cooked Fish, crunchy chips, who could go wrong?.

S
Trumpy, do you put ketchup on your chips or vinegar? I prefer vinegar.

Is it true that in the old days, push cart vendors would sell fish and chips bundled in a sheet of newspaper?

P.S.: Some advice - if you come to the USA and want fish and chips do NOT go to a chain known as Arthur Treachers. AWFUL stuff (especially when I tasted the real thing at a now-defunct pub run by an expat Englishman)!!! [Linked Image]

H
It has to be *malt* vinegar.

Fish and chip shops in the UK served their product wrapped in newspapers (for take home or eating on the go) until at least the mid 1970's. There was always a sheet of white paper between the product and the newsprint however. Still I remember my greasy fingers getting black from the ink - no long-lasting harm; I think???

We blamed the health freak namby-pambies from the EEC for banning the traditional wrappers - the same guys who have defined a carrot as a fruit so that the Portugese can make their traditional carrot jam (jam as you know, must be made from fruit!).

You could always tell the posh chippies - they wrapped their fish and chips in the 'Times' and not a tabloid! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

P
Ah yes, you have to put on enough vinegar so that the fumes from it waft nicely around the room. Remember that TV commercial that went "Don't say vinegar - Say Sarsons"? (For non-UK readers, that's a popular brand of malt vinegar.)

It's hard to remember the last time I bought fish & chips wrapped in newspaper, but certainly when I was living in Cornwall in the early 1980s a lot of fish & chip shops still used it.

As for the EEC's idiotic rules and regulations, I'd better not even start on that one..... Just take a look here and you'll see what I mean! [Linked Image]

I quite like salad cream with my fish & chips. I believe that mayo is popular in Belgium and the Netherlands. Can you confirm this Belgian?

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-12-2002).]

B
Fish and chips or most anything from salt or fresh water is my preference.

No offense meant, but awhile back there was a US travel program [Bert Wolf] that filmed in a particular Scottish fish-and-chips shop. It offered a very unusual variation on a chocolate snack. The cook would unwrap some Snickers candy bars, and dip them into the fish batter, and then place them into the hot {fish} cooking oil. Apparently you had to eat them very hot to taste good.

I would try it once.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard