ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 372 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
pauluk Offline OP
From the troublesome house, this is a junction box I chopped out during the work. This is not the approved way of wiring British junction boxes!

[Linked Image from members.aol.com]

As you might expect, the box was not fixed to anything and the cables were hanging loose.

S
Paul,
would i assume the norm being that JB's be secured, and the wires made into them before being stripped?

P
pauluk Offline OP
Yes, the box should be secured and the cable sheath should extend into the j-box. These boxes are designed to take up to four cables.

The white j-box pictured elsewhere shows how it should be done (if I do say so myself... [Linked Image]).

[Edit] Pic copied from other thread:

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-21-2002).]

S
ah...much better!

P
Hey that reminds me of a J.B. I took out of a celing in a mobile home. They uncovered it for me because he knew it was there.It was burnt looking outside of box. I soon discovered they had joined a peice of copper wire to aluminum. I politely told him he was lucky to be able to call me.
if a fire had started in the middle of night. He was saved because he didn't forget the cover on the J.B.

[This message has been edited by poppa Bill (edited 07-22-2002).]

P
pauluk Offline OP
I've found plenty of these j-boxes buried in walls as well. People seemed to find the darndest places to hide them!

The problem of aluminum (or aluminium as it's called over here) wire is something we've largely avoided, as it never caught on for smaller cables in domestic use.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-23-2002).]

Paul,
Just a short note on aluminium wiring,
I was recently talking to a sparkie who done
his time in the UK during the 1960's and he reckoned that someone over there must have had an aluminium fetish, as he was saying that all of the cables, conduit and a few other things were all manufactured from good
old Al,is some of this wiring still found in older installations?,the aluminium conduit must have been a shocker to work with, ever tried to straighten a bent length
of aluminium?.

B
Termination characteristics of aluminium conductors have been improved with "8000-series" alloy compounded with a small amount of iron. The alloy is almost universal for inside [building] wiring left of the pond, but not used much in utility [site] applications. Part of the reason for that is that utilities typically use 100% hydraulic-compressed terminations and splices, which are as close to bulletproof as can be had. OTOH, for inside wiring in the US, setscrew-type terminations are unfortunately still quite common, and are truly P-O-S items, regardless of the insistence of many connector salesmen. Sadly, after 50 years, the politics of building codes still do not prohibit them.

As for raceway, I used to work in a winery that used 110% threaded-rigid aluminum conduit. Its coefficient of expansion is so great that straight runs firmly secured on pipe racks would "snake" quite noticeably [or tear itself apart] during temperature extremes.

B
Here we don't use j-boxes in new, residential installations, when the wires are built IN the walls. Whenever we do use them (industrial instal, garages, cellars), then they have 2 b accessible.
We wire from one switch to the other with L,N & PE.
Our J-boxes are much more user friendly.
I find the whole british system very unatractive for electricians to work with. Here we have much better material and more user-friendly.

J
Belgian,
I agree that some of the ways we have over here in England leave a lot to be desired, but it could be worse, they could start regulation on who can install electrical equipement ( I wish )
some of our practices might appear to be a bit odd, but as an electrician of a few years i dont see them as ( until i joined ECN that is )
Pauluk mate,
are you originally from Blighty or are you still here, and why ?

John H

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard