ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
#132908 09/06/01 08:29 PM
C
Can just anyone buy electrical equipment in the U.S.? Or do you have to have a license to purchase breakers, panels, etc.?

#132909 09/07/01 12:21 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
>Can just anyone buy electrical equipment in the U.S.?

For the most part, yes.

You have to know where to get it. But there are no restrictions or controls. You have to be licensed for CFCs, certain pesticides, certain explosives, and pharmaceuticals.

But electrical equipment is sold in hardware stores, outlets, and home centers all over.

#132910 09/07/01 05:06 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Same in the U.K. - Anybody can buy anything from a light bulb to a 3-phase distribution panel with no restrictions whatsoever.

#132911 09/07/01 06:30 AM
S
yuppy, we're all free to join in here;
http://www.darwinawards.com/index.htm

[Linked Image]

#132912 09/07/01 11:40 AM
Broom Pusher and
Just the other day my Father was telling me about how things in the trade were, back in 1956-57 [8 years prior to me being hatched [Linked Image]].
Said that there was maybe only one wholesale house in So Cal. that would sell to the public. All others required the buyer to be a licensed sparky, or purchasing agent of licensed sparky firm [AKA Big Fault Electric, Inc.]. No home depots, lows, home clubs [remember these?]. Not sure what hardware stores carried.
Also said that a box of Romex was the same price as today. So figuring that $10 could keep you going all week in fuel, food, etc. that box of Romex must have been like GOLD!!! Probably like paying $500 per box today! [Linked Image]

The open market has kept some prices reasonable and opened doors for many small businesses - both in the trade and in the manufacturing of materials, and that's always good.

Too bad there's not more emphasis placed on DIY'er safety and training, than just on the end result of doing it yourself. That kind of gives a false impression to people about just how serious construction related work really is, and the fact that the bare bones codes of the NEC and UBC aren't just to make people have to fork out more cash, simply to satisfy an inspector! [who hasn't heard that one 1K times?].

Many DIY'ers are able to do good, safe, dependable work. Some aren't. All should have knowledge of the hows and whys regarding that particular installation.

The guy who wants to add French doors in an existing wall should know more than "it's simple to do" and "I want French Doors NOW!", less the house divided cannot stand [load bearing humor attempt].

So to sum it up, Yes, I believe that using Shampoo, Soap and water while in the shower, can and will definitely have good results, as compared to just standing near the shower, or running around inside the shower with no water on.
80% of the Scientists polled agree on this theory...

Scott SET

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!
#132913 09/07/01 01:40 PM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally posted by sparky:
yuppy, we're all free to join in here;
http://www.darwinawards.com/index.htm
[Linked Image]

The scary thing is that these people have the right to vote, drive a car, operate machinery, etc.

Two guys in a village where I used to live "naturally selected" themselves by electricity. The idiots tried to take down an 18 ft. CB antenna atop a 20 ft. mast, all in one piece, above their heads, while standing on an aluminum ladder in a tree.

The whole lot came crashing down into the adjacent field - right on to 11kV power lines.

The coroner's verdict was "Death my misadventure," but I think a better verdict might have been "Electrocution by own stupidity."

#132914 09/08/01 12:06 AM
M
I will agree with all of your points. I may be known to you as an " informed DIY'er". There is a simple rule to follow in whatever your profession or pastime: Do what you know-if you don't know, find someone who does. In Ontario, and as far as I know, the rest of Canada, excluding Quebec, I can go to my local hardware store around the corner, and buy a 200 amp combination panel with an assortment of breakers, for around $200+ (C$)and install it myself (I don't.)There is no substitute for the proper education, however, I feel that there is a place for people who wish to educate themselves whatever the field. I have on many occasions, corrected the work of (licensed)'Electricians', and I gain a great deal of satisfaction from my attention to detail, and my complete regard for the code (within my experience.)My hat is off to all of you out there who have dedicated a great deal of time and brain power to a subject that is voodoo, at best, to most people. I think that a DIY'er (like myself) is capable of quality, safe work, but we must be wary of being sucked into a false sense of security. I apologize for going off on a rant on a BBS which is really dedicated to the pro's, but I have learned much just by 'listening in'. Thank you all.

#132915 09/08/01 06:25 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Mickky,

If you've seen some of my other posts, you'll know that in the U.K. there's no such thing as a licensed electrician. There are various organizations that offer certification of competency, but it's not mandatory. For those who work mostly on residential, like myself, 99% of people have no idea of the alphabet soup of letters anyway, so it's not worth the hassle & expense.

I know of some certified electricians who don't like the idea of ANY DIYer working on wiring, but I have no quarrel with the responsible DIY home-owner who knows his limitations and gets help on anything he doesn't understand.

I started carrying out wiring jobs in my own & my parents' homes as a DIYer myself. I had the advantage of learning about electricity from my father and reading everything I could find on the subject from the age of 5 onwards. Other kids were out playing ball; I was eading tech. books and building radios.

I have to say that plenty of DIY here is done to a high standard by people who have taken the trouble to read, ask questions,, and learn. Much of it is done by home-owners who take great pride in their home, and the standard of workmanship is quite often far higher than that of a professional.

The people I don't like are the ones who THINK they know everything, and when they get stuck they just guess instead of asking for help. They're usually the ones who figure out things like "It works so it must be safe" or "I know my wiring is OK, so it doesn't matter about using fuses." It these people who often can't even make a neat job of wiring a plug.

I have to say too, that I've also seen plenty of work done by certified electricians that varies from poor to downright dangerous.

So I for one would certainly never try to put down all DIYers. The mere fact that you're here asking questions indicates the desire to learn and to do the job properly. None of us ever stops learning.

#132916 09/08/01 06:40 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Originally posted by mickky:
In Ontario, and as far as I know, the rest of Canada, excluding Quebec, I can go to my local

I gather that they like to do must things differently in Quebec.

It amuses me that the Quebec stop signs say "ARRET", yet in France where the only official language is French, the signs actually say "STOP" in English.

#132917 09/08/01 11:32 PM
mickky,

For the record, I wouldn't say that we're only dedicated to the Pros here. Anyone that wants to know things like "Is it safe?" and "How can I do it Safer?" is welcome. We don't want to give basic wiring instruction to novices for many reasons. A little knowledge in the hands of some can be more Dangerous than none at all. I think that, by far, the most important thing to learn about Electricity is to respect it, and learn how to do things right (and safe) before trying to work with it. Many people just don't 'get it'. You seem to be a 'cut above' the average DIY person and that's an admirable thing. [Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Bill

Bill
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard