ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does your City or State require that their electrical inspector be "licensed, certified, qualified, or are they otherwise appointed?"

Does your City or State employ combination inspectors who inspect all installations of building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work on residential, commercial, or industrial locations?

Are you interested in becoming certified as an electrical inspector nationwide?

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
R
My area has different requirements based on the townships. Some use outside agencies, others use their own employees.
I have been interested in becoming certified as an electrical inspector at some level.
I have noticed on this board what appear to be classifications (E1?).
Could you discuss this please?

[This message has been edited by Redsy (edited 08-29-2002).]

Redsy:

Look over on http://www.iaei.org for more information related to 2A, 2B, and 2C electrical inspector certifications. They will also send you the bulletin of information with sample questions. I beliieve that E1 is the classification for a Connecticut Master?

H
Joe,

Well you know a lot about me. In NJ the electrical inspector has to pass the 2A, 2B and take some class room training in a college and he has to have some field experience to be an ICS inspector. 5 years to be qualified for ICS license and 10 years for HHS and you need to pass the 2C part of the test. Then to top it off we need some more class room training to get a subcode officals license. We also need to go to classes every 3 years to renew our licenses.

Caper

Tom Offline
Joe,

Here in the Mountain State, it depends a lot on where you live.

Rural areas in the Allegheney Energy service area- service inspection only, performed by an inspection agency. Rest of the rural area gets no inspection.

Cities- some larger ones require inspection, usually performed by a multi-hat inspector. Otherwise, inspections are the same as rural areas.

WV has passed a law requireing certification, but it has not been implemented as yet. Unfortunately, the legislature gave enforcement to the State Fire Marshal, the agency that has already fouled up the electrician licensing. I believe that IAEI certification will satisfy the state requirements.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.
Caper:

It's about 12 years since we used Prodigy, and when about ten of the electrical bulletin board members there took the IAEI tests.

I think all of them, including you, passed.

Do you remember their names, and handles?

Also, please explain what HHS and ICS mean?

Tom:

Do the 3rd party inspection agencies work in certain areas only, or are they hired by the City or State?

Do they compete with each other?

Does one agency call out different code violations, and other's something else?

For example, the weep hole in the bottom of a panelboard cabinet, do they allow the GEC to pass through that hole with no connection to the enclosure, like you'd have if you used a knockout an a proper fitting?

S
Are you interested in becoming certified as an electrical inspector nationwide?

Is this a job offer Joe?

Sparky:

No, it was not a job offer.

Becoming certified could lead to a good job though, in fact the IAEI certification process, now over 25 years old, is the best way that I know of to ensure that the AHJ is not some political hack with no experience at all.

I asked that question to see if there were any who wanted to take on the challange.

I took my tests along with Joe Roohan (Former LA County Chief Electrical Inspector, Deceased) back in December 1979

We both passed all three of the IAEI tests, and they were not easy!

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 08-29-2002).]

S
I have taken & passed the 'Electrical Inspector General' IAEI 7-8 yrs ago. It was comprable to my masters.

I think there is a misunderstanding that it automatically makes you an inspector...not so.

Does your City or State require that their electrical inspector be "licensed, certified, qualified, or are they otherwise appointed?"

State inspectors here, many knowledgable people, just too da** few of them. I believe that they had all achieved an NFPA level credential recently, but i'm not sure what...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard